Auto-Signout for Shared Macs

GreatestJagras
New Contributor III

I was curious if anybody had additional information for a project I've been working on. I'm running into an issue where in some computer labs that see frequent use, there are often many users signed into a mac at the same time and the machine begins to slow down.

What I was looking to do is setup a policy where users are automatically logged out after a certain amount of time of inactivity. I see that is a configuration profile option for this setting, however from my testing it seems that the inactivity timer is only active when somebody is not on the lock screen. Is there a way using the configuration policies to log out a user after a certain amount of time, even if they are at the lock screen?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

GreatestJagras
New Contributor III

Quick update, but I never found an exact solution to auto-logout people the way I wanted. Instead, I setup a policy which will check for user accounts older than a certain date and delete them using this post as a guide. This helped us reduce slowdown so the auto-signout became unnecessary. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ogut
New Contributor

did you put your plist in LaunchAgents?

GreatestJagras
New Contributor III

I have not, I've just been trying to do it using the Login Window payload in Configuration Profiles as shown below.

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 8.32.01 AM.png

Are you referring to a plist that Jamf saves locally on the computer when you push out Configuration Profiles?

GreatestJagras
New Contributor III

Quick update, but I never found an exact solution to auto-logout people the way I wanted. Instead, I setup a policy which will check for user accounts older than a certain date and delete them using this post as a guide. This helped us reduce slowdown so the auto-signout became unnecessary.