Code42 Crashplan installer and Jamf

jconrod
New Contributor III

Has anyone been able to make a Code42 CrashPlan installer in Composer?  I'm trying to do that for version 10.2.0 of Code42 and it fails.  I notice that there are some Code42-related files that change after the installation is done, so I'm thinking that Composer might not be making an accurate "after" snapshot.  I can give more details if someone wants.  I'm  just wondering if there is anyone who has gotten this to work, and, if so, what they did to get it to work.  Thanks.

--Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pbenware1
Release Candidate Programs Tester

We're using the installers provided by Code42, no issues with those at all, no need for Composer.

We simply download the current dmg from the Code42 console, upload the file "Install Code42.pkg" to Jamf, update the policies, etc.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pbenware1

We're using the installers provided by Code42, no issues with those at all, no need for Composer.

We simply download the current dmg from the Code42 console, upload the file "Install Code42.pkg" to Jamf, update the policies, etc.

jconrod
New Contributor III

Thank you!  I'm still pretty new to Jamf and didn't know/remember that I can build a package this way.  :-)  I have it working now.  Thanks!!

When searching for help with CrashPlan search with one word, anything Code42 is outdated information.

Summation:
  • CrashPlan create Deployment Policy (use this to Mac Token info to create a Script) leave the Script Tab alone it runs from within CrashPlan
  • Jamf Pro: create (2) Configuration Profiles one for PPPC (download Code42.mobileconfig and upload to Jamf Pro) and one for Crash Plan Email Value 
    • com.code42.email
    • PLIST file containing key value pairs for settings in the specified domain

​​​​<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"> <plist version="1.0"> <dict> <key>code42ActivationEmail</key> <string>$EMAIL</string> </dict> </plist>
  • Jamf Pro: create (1) script from token info from Deployment Policy in CrashPlan called CrashPlan Deployment Token
    • #!/bin/bash
      mkdir -p /Library/Application\ Support/CrashPlan
      echo "DEPLOYMENT_URL=URL of CrashPlan HERE
      DEPLOYMENT_POLICY_TOKEN=COPY YOUR TOKEN HERE
      CP_SILENT=true
      DEVICE_CLOAKED=false" > /Library/Application\ Support/CrashPlan/deploy.properties
  • Jamf Pro: create (1) Policy to install Code42.pkg, and run script BEFORE CrashPlan Deployment Token

pbenware1

Somewhat advanced helpful hint

Caveat: We're on a hosted version of Code42; I have no idea if this is also supported in the on-prem versions.  I assume so, but do not know.  We haven't had on-prem servers for like 5 years now.

Within the Crashplan console you can create Deployment policies and Customization Templates.  The Deployment policy tells the desktop client things like server URL, Reg Key, default Organization for new devices, Silent install configuration, etc.  In turn, the Deployment profile will allow the client app to download any customization templates before 1st launch, allowing for custom logos, text fields, etc.  Once built, the Deployment Policy is a downloadable text file with few lines in it.

More info here (the page references Incyder, but the concepts are the same)

https://support.code42.com/Incydr/Admin/Planning_and_installing/Manage_app_installations_in_your_Cod...

You can create a script in Jamf to write the Deployment policy file to the appropriate location on the endpoint; just add the script to your Crashplan policy in Jamf.

Our Jamf script looks something like this:

#!/bin/bash
mkdir -p /Library/Application\ Support/CrashPlan
echo "DEPLOYMENT_URL=https://www.crashplan.com
DEPLOYMENT_POLICY_TOKEN=<your token goes here>
CP_SILENT=true
DEVICE_CLOAKED=false" > /Library/Application\ Support/CrashPlan/deploy.properties

The end result is that when Crashplan installs in Jamf, it will run this script, create the Deployment policy config file, so that when the installation is complete, it will already have server URL, reg key and other information needed so that the User doing the first log in to CrashPlan will not need that info. If you configure the Code42 Customization template, it will download shortly after the Crashplan is complete so that when the first user logs in it will have the application customizations as well (this download usually take a few minutes and is completely behind the scenes).

That nugget has saved us many a support call due to typo's and not following/understanding directions. Almost as good; it's simple, easy to follow, supported by the vendor, and I didn't have to create something from scratch that someone else might have to support 5 years from now.

@pbenware1 , thanks for this. If you interact with Code42 support, they still direct you to documentation that calls for email users... my goodness, why are companies still doing this user's email stuff (Netskope)... I am in the process of getting our token to plug into the script... I have no idea if we have a preexisting "Deployment policy or Customization Template" on the console, but I will find out soon enough. This is somewhat typical of these types of console style application vendors. They say do it "this way", and someone from Jamf Nation finds out, no, do it this way, which takes minutes versus hours or days. Then you hope the vendor adjusts the instructions, but most often do not, and now there is misinformation out there and time being wasted. Thanks again.