Computer Setup

Hayden_Webb
New Contributor III

This is just a curiosity post, I’m just wondering how people setup their computers after enrollment. What we do currently is enroll through a prestage and then login as our admin and run two Self Service policies that install everything that is needed. It runs fine but is a bit of a bottleneck. I’m curious what other people do to setup their machines. 

Our policies do the following:

Installs our filter utility agent

Sets the network/time zone

Pops up a computer rename script

Installs DyKnow (computer monitoring software)

Installs Chrome

Then the second policy:

Bind the computer to our Active Directory

Installs the filter

This seems a bit rudimentary but I’m still kind of new to this so hearing other peoples processes might help me make mine a little easier for our other techs. 

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

we deploy one configuration profile and after that, we install our standard software with a policy (depnotify) and the "standard install script" from jamf. 

jpeters21
Contributor II

installs office, Antivirus, and compliance software immediately on enrollment, rename/bind and my smart groups split it off to staff or labs  (classroom) groups by name and continue software installations/configurations based on that. Then one off software have there own static groups that we assign on request.  It can take some time to 100% (especially in the classroom were we have about 40 GB of install happening) but has not really been an issue. 

MatG
Contributor III

Use DEPNotify to run your installers, no need for any admin to log in after remote management setup

jpeters21
Contributor II

the wrench in zero touch for us has always been our crazy naming scheme. but that said its not really an issue in the grand scheme of things, and when it does become one I get the to do what I have been asking and change that naming to just be {prefix}-{serial number} . DEP Notify still looks like a good tool will check it out.