Disable "Inspect" on Google Chrome

shoch
New Contributor III

Hello all, 

It's come to my attention that students (mainly in the HS) have figured out that they can right-click in Chrome, select "Inspect", and somehow, manipulate how their grades look. 

The change what they want and take a screen shot to show their parents, teachers, or whomever. It's all to get out of work. 

I've not seen it done as of yet. Is there a way to disable this feature that you're aware of? I can't find much in Google Admin about it. 

Thank you for your insights!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

No worries. I'm a jack of all trades, master of none so I wouldn't necessarily call myself a pro either.

House keeping item: What product are you using to manage your devices? Jamf Pro or School? 

If you do not currently manage Chrome at all then a simple config profile targeting what you need will work.  I would highly recommend that you setup Chrome browser management to make it easier to manage these settings. See here to learn more.

If you want to test out turning the developer tools off you can issue in terminal the following command:

defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.Chrome.plist DeveloperToolsAvailability -int 2

A configuration profile targeting just that setting is below. Like above your domain is com.google.Chrome

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>DeveloperToolsAvailability</key>
    <integer>2</integer>
 </dict>
</plist>

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Have you tried disabling the Developer Tools?

https://chromeenterprise.google/policies/#DeveloperToolsAvailability - Use integer value of 2 in a configuration profile or use Chrome browser management and disable it in Google Admin.

shoch
New Contributor III

Unfortunately, I don't have the option for Chrome browser management that I can see. 

When you say to use an integer value of 2, I see that that is for full disabling which is what I'd like to happen, where would this go under the configuration profile? 

You would happen to have a script that I could use, would you? Or a place that has a template? If you haven't noticed, I'm not a pro at this. HA!

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

No worries. I'm a jack of all trades, master of none so I wouldn't necessarily call myself a pro either.

House keeping item: What product are you using to manage your devices? Jamf Pro or School? 

If you do not currently manage Chrome at all then a simple config profile targeting what you need will work.  I would highly recommend that you setup Chrome browser management to make it easier to manage these settings. See here to learn more.

If you want to test out turning the developer tools off you can issue in terminal the following command:

defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.Chrome.plist DeveloperToolsAvailability -int 2

A configuration profile targeting just that setting is below. Like above your domain is com.google.Chrome

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>DeveloperToolsAvailability</key>
    <integer>2</integer>
 </dict>
</plist>

shoch
New Contributor III

Thank you! I'm going to test this out right away. 

We're currently using Jamf Pro. We have a Jamf School license (I believe) but it was purchased before I started here and I've not had a chance to dive into it much.