Jamf Mac App - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Continous

ccsshelpdesk
New Contributor III

Hi I have been testing the new Jamf Mac apps and I am loving it.

Its working fine for some of the Microsoft apps I've been testing but strangely its not working for the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Continuous.

It seems to have installed on 10 machines but no more and these may have been logged into at the time.

I have also noticed that if you are logged in when it fires up the silent installer you cannot restart the machine at all.

If you try to restart you get the message the computer cannot be restarted because software is being installed.

And the Acrobat DC installer box pops up at Running package scripts. But never goes' any further.

Does anyone know where i can check the logs or any ideas why the installer is not working.

Cheers all

7 REPLIES 7

glpi-ios
Contributor III

Same problem.
On the other hand, do you know how to close the current update window remotely (via a script) because this affects more than 500 computers and we don't want to perform an aggressive restart via script.
I can't find the process related to this update

Thank you

raymondap
Contributor

Same issue here. Adobe Reader so far is the only app we have issues with in the Jamf App catalog. I wish they would either address it or remove it until it works properly.

glpi-ios
Contributor III

For those who may be interested, here is the script I created based on my research to kill the appropriate processes without forcing a restart.

On the other hand there will be a message indicating that the Acrobat update is finished but in fact the update will not have been done.
The message asks to restart with the possibility of canceling but I recommend restarting.

on the other hand, remember to deactivate the Mac Apps rule in JSS otherwise the update will return

Sorry if the script is not optimized and clean, I suck at scripting

#!/bin/bash
pid=$(ps axo pid,command | grep "[A]dobe Acrobat Reader DC Continuous 22.003.20258_Install.pkg" | awk '{print $1}')
pid2=$(ps axo pid,command | grep "[A]croInstallAlert.app" | awk '{print $1}')
pid3=$(ps axo pid,command | grep "[I]nstall in Progress" | awk '{print $1}')

if [ "$pid" ]
    then
        echo "Acrobat Reader DC Continuous is Running"
        echo "Pid is: "$pid
        echo "..."
        echo "Killing Acrobat Reader DC Continuous"
            kill $pid
        echo "Acrobat Reader DC Continuous killed"
        echo "..."
    else
        echo "Acrobat Reader DC Continuous not running"
        echo "..."
    fi

if [ "$pid2" ]
    then
        echo "[A]croInstallAlert.app is Running"
        echo "Pid is: "$pid2
        echo "..."
        echo "Killing [A]croInstallAlert.app pid"
            kill $pid2
        echo "Pid killed"
        echo "..."
    else
        echo "[A]croInstallAlert.app not running"
        echo "..."
    fi

if [ "$pid3" ]
    then
        echo "Install in Progress is Running"
        echo "Pid is: "$pid3
        echo "..."
        echo "Killing Install in Progress pid"
            kill $pid3
        echo "Pid killed"
        echo "..."
    else
        echo "Install in Progress not running"
        echo "..."
    fi

exit 0		## Success
exit 1		## Failure

raymondap
Contributor

Thanks for that.

Also I opened a case with Jamf asking that they remove that item from the catalog until it's working properly. If I get any good info out of that I'll pass it on.

raymondap
Contributor

I've heard back from Jamf and they are aware of the issue: "our development team is working with Adobe to resolve the issue with Reader"

It's concerning to me that they are aware of an issue, but they haven't removed it from the catalog. It makes me want to rethink using the Jamf Mac App catalog since the apps don't seem to be as tested and vetted as advertised...

Hi,

Have you had any news about this problem? Has anyone tested updating to the latest version 22.003.20310 with Jamf App Catalog?

Not really, they closed out my ticket 3 months ago as a "product issue". I haven't heard anything further. We've been patching Reader manually since we don't trust Mac Apps anymore.