Jamf Nation, YOU are being trolled

danlaw777
Contributor III

In the last two weeks, this is the second time that I have seen multiple posts that have the exact same headline, body, and questions. It looks like Jamf nation is now a part of the global environment by getting trolled by spammers just wanted to give everybody a heads up in case they haven't seen this either. @jamf I know its hard, but maybe you can be the leader of the pack and find some way to avoid this?jamfnation.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yeah, this is becoming more and more of an issue. Good that you put up a post specifically about it. This should be pinned to the top for a while for everyone to see it.

I've reported a number of these spam posts to the site admins and also called out the OPs on their obvious phishing tactic. I know public shaming rarely helps (especially because most cases they are just junk accounts used for spamming), but it also can't hurt to call them out on it when we see it so everyone is aware.

For everyone's awareness, the pattern for most of these is always the same. Someone claims they are using a work machine, but has personal stuff on it, and asks concerned questions that having Jamf on it will allow them to spy on their doings. It's all nonsense of course since Jamf Pro/Jamf Now cannot spy on anyone, read emails, messages or capture text or web browsing details. But the trolls are looking to put possible negative info into the websphere that may end up pulling up in Google searches. It's a classic FUD campaign.

For now, please everyone stay vigilant and try not to feed the trolls. Report these when you see they are suspicious.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Jerezilla
New Contributor

Good to know!

jamf-42
Valued Contributor

Time to have public JN and private for paid customers, cos there is shed loads of this now

JeniA
Community Manager
Community Manager

@danlaw777 Thank you for this. One of the things that makes Jamf Nation so incredibly special is the passion of its members. You all dedicate so much time and energy to helping others succeed, and that's deeply appreciated. What isn't appreciated, as you pointed out, is the influx of spam that threatens the integrity of what you all worked so hard to build. So thank you for helping others be aware!

From the Jamf side, we're constantly looking at ways to decrease spam and protect the community. You all deserve that. So thank you for your patience and understanding as we look for solutions. And thank you for being an extra set of eyes! Let us know when you see spam by marking it as such (little carrot in the top, right of the post). And we'll continue to look for ways to eliminate the spam that's clouding the community. Sending gratitude your way! 

CalleyO
Contributor III

@danlaw777 I appreciate you sharing this feedback! Our priority is to create an open and welcoming community. Still, as you can see, we are facing some challenging behaviors, and we are working hard to address them as quickly as possible. In the meantime, please continue to report spam posts!

mm2270

Yeah, this is becoming more and more of an issue. Good that you put up a post specifically about it. This should be pinned to the top for a while for everyone to see it.

I've reported a number of these spam posts to the site admins and also called out the OPs on their obvious phishing tactic. I know public shaming rarely helps (especially because most cases they are just junk accounts used for spamming), but it also can't hurt to call them out on it when we see it so everyone is aware.

For everyone's awareness, the pattern for most of these is always the same. Someone claims they are using a work machine, but has personal stuff on it, and asks concerned questions that having Jamf on it will allow them to spy on their doings. It's all nonsense of course since Jamf Pro/Jamf Now cannot spy on anyone, read emails, messages or capture text or web browsing details. But the trolls are looking to put possible negative info into the websphere that may end up pulling up in Google searches. It's a classic FUD campaign.

For now, please everyone stay vigilant and try not to feed the trolls. Report these when you see they are suspicious.

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

In addition to this I have noticed many JAMF Nation posts of late that are exact copies of reddit posts. In some cases multiple JAMF Nation posts copying a single reddit post. All of the examples I can think of are from guest accounts. Its probably best to disable guest accounts, but only time will tell if there is a better solution.

mm2270

@AJPinto It's probably not a bad idea for Jamf to consider disabling throw away guest accounts. Forcing someone to register an actual account with a verified email may curb some of this. But that's up to Jamf to decide, and I'm sure it's one of the options on the table.

As you said, time will tell what will work here. But I'm glad there is awareness of the issue and that Jamf is on top of it as well.