macOS Ventura Upgrade Freezing with Spinning wheel

fpi94
New Contributor II

Hello to all,
I hope everyone is well in the community :)

I have a recurring problem with macOS Ventura :
when I upgrade from macOS Monterey to Ventura, a minor update or when I try to register a Mac directly, after restart, I get a blank screen with a wheel that spins without stopping.
I have the impression that it is the Form of Address window that wants to be displayed, I only have the "back" and "continue" buttons at the bottom (they do not work).
When I restart the mac, everything is fixed, I can authenticate and work again.
Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Thx for your returns

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

fpi94
New Contributor II

Hi bcrockett,
some news ... The problem is isolated!
It was caused by my PreStage configuration. In the Setup Assistant Options, I didn't shows the Terms and Address to the end user.
Now, When I display this on the enrolment workflow, the end user can choose his "type" and configure (or not) Touch ID.

As a reminder: This problem occurred when enrolling directly under macOS Ventura but worked perfectly with macOS Monterey.
Thank you again for your help.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

bcrockett
Contributor III

Interesting. A few questions for clarification;

1. What type of computers are you updating with Apple Silicon or Intel? 

2. Do the users who are having problems updating have admin rights?

3. Are you using tools like 

1. Nudge

or

2. erase-install

To automate the update process? 

fpi94
New Contributor II

Hi and thank you,

My answers bellow:

1. What type of computers are you updating with Apple Silicon or Intel? Apple Silicon

2. Do the users who are having problems updating have admin rights? Standard user

3. Are you using tools like : Yes, Nudge with erase-install in SSP

bcrockett
Contributor III

What does SSP mean? 

fpi94
New Contributor II

Launch the erase-install command from Nudge:

(jamfselfservice://content?entity=policy&id=200&action=execute)

Is it a good Workflow ?

bcrockett
Contributor III
That workflow works for me. 

What do the logs show on the policy ((jamfselfservice://content?entity=policy&id=200&action=execute) when it fails? 
Also, does erase-install work to update the computer when triggered by the user alone in self-service? Like in this screen recording? 

fpi94
New Contributor II

Yes, I've something like that. When Nudge launch the Upgrade or update, the user is asked to enter its password. After that, the download start and the install begin. The problem come after the restart :/

I can send you on MP the screen capture if you want

bcrockett
Contributor III

Weird. 

So the update starts. The computer reboots and then it just gets stuck on a black screen and does not update. Then you hold power to reboot and the computer boots to the non-updated OS? 

Are you using version 28 of erase install? 

fpi94
New Contributor II

Update:

I've deployed a new configuration of Jamf Connect (Without Kerberos configuration) and it's worked!
I will explore this new way to try to isolate the problem.
I will back to you if I found the raison of that.

Thanks again for your help

bcrockett
Contributor III

No problem. It is good to know that a Jamf Connect configuration could cause update issues of this nature. 

fpi94
New Contributor II

Hi bcrockett,
some news ... The problem is isolated!
It was caused by my PreStage configuration. In the Setup Assistant Options, I didn't shows the Terms and Address to the end user.
Now, When I display this on the enrolment workflow, the end user can choose his "type" and configure (or not) Touch ID.

As a reminder: This problem occurred when enrolling directly under macOS Ventura but worked perfectly with macOS Monterey.
Thank you again for your help.

@fpi94 Good to know. 

So is just the PreStage Setup Assistant Options and not the Jamf Connect configuration?  

fpi94
New Contributor II

Yes, Jamf Connect is not the guilty. 

schiemsk
New Contributor III

Thank you for this information.

I have just unchecked the option in the prestage configuration and I will try shortly (I have one blocked, under Ventura, just unboxed and enrolled).

So far when the device is online I just do an ssh session and kill the setup wizard (100% CPU).
After that, the user can log in.

This is particularly annoying knowing that this happens:

- on new devices at the first connection of an account (standard or admin)
- on existing devices on existing accounts after an OS update (even in the same branch).

schiemsk
New Contributor III

I mean "kill Setup Assistant" (thank you google trad) :

<username>          2160 100,0 36,4 432195184 6112208   ??  R    11:08     2:11.41 /System/Library/CoreServices/Setup Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS/Setup Assistant -MiniBuddyYes

schiemsk
New Contributor III

And it's doing the trick !

thanks again.