Trying to install MS Outlook on a managed and enrolled ipad. Device management shows " Pending - All licenses are in use or the license is not assigned yet " but the app is free and therefore no VPP is required. ABM shows it there and it's added to the device config policy. Any ideas?
1) Even though the app is free, you still have to "buy" licenses through ABM for the number of devices that you are assigning the app to (regardless of whether they install the app or not). In Jamf, you would need to make sure that Managed Distribution is enabled on the app and the correct number of licenses are showing assigned.
2) If all of that is setup correctly, then you may be running into an issue that has been plaguing me for a while: blank serial numbers on device records. In Jamf, run both a computer and mobile device search for blank serial number. For any device returned, update inventory and hope that it reports in. So long as there are blank serial numbers in the Jamf database, the license monitor crashes and will not process any more app licenses. Once the device records have serial numbers, the license monitor resumes and app licenses process again. I have submitted this issue to Jamf, but it doesn't have a PI yet to my knowledge.
No, all I got from support was that the device must have lost internet connection while processing an update inventory command, but before it could be completed, resulting in the serial number being blank. I would absolutely open a case with Jamf about this issue, as the more voices they hear, the more likely to get this issue eventually resolved.
I found out that there is now a Product Issue associated with this bug. PI109789: "VPP will fail to assign a license for iOS and macOS apps and give the error 'Pending - All licenses are in use, or the license is not assigned yet' if the Jamf Pro DB contains devices with blank serial numbers." If anyone experiences this issue in the future, I recommend submitting a support case to Jamf and referencing this PI.
Until the bug is fixed, here are the recommended workaround steps:
1) Create an advanced search to find the blank serial number.
2) Run 'update inventory' continuously to the devices with a blank serial number until the serial number appears.
3) If the 'update inventory' does not fix the issue, re-enroll the device.
I'm having this issue right now. How do I search for a blank serial number? Under the search, I selected Advenced Mobile Device Search (we only have Mobile devices), chose serial number Operator "is" value (left blank) and nothing returns. Am I doing this right we we just don't have any with blank serial numbers, or should something else be in the value field?
We've had some oddities with Jamf School and app licenses. Licenses in use/available were mismatched in different places (different numbers in Jamf School and another different number in ASM). The solution was going into the license management for the specific app and syncing, then syncing for all licenses for all apps.
Has happened twice in the last couple of months. Don't know if any of this is helpful for what may be happening in Jamf Pro.
Just to be clear, this is in Jamf School, so it depends on what you use for where these are (not sure where they are or if they exist in Jamf Pro).
On a per app basis, I go to the detail page of whichever app and click on one of the numbers under Volume Purchasing (I don't think it matters what number). On that page there is a "Resync licenses" button.
Then, I have a button to sync everything in Apps > Inventory that says "Sync with Apple School Manager".
Resyncing the problem app's licenses then syncing with ASM usually solves my issues.
Edit: Meant to be in reply to @PA