Pre Stage Enrollment - Set Up devices with Hostname/ IP Address/AD BIND/ etc

Brian1974
New Contributor

Hi there,

We are looking at a new upgrade for our 50 or so macs mainly trashcans to Monterey in the summer.

Currently all systems are running Catalina.

We are trying to do some pre planning to make things go somewhat smoother and quicker than previous years using JAMF.

We would like to wipe the existing system and install Mac OS Monterey, and have it autosetup each device with 

Hostname

DNS

IP Address for EN0

AD BIND

create a default admin account name with password

skip setup of siri etc agree to terms etc.

Currently we have the erase and install  of Monterey working, however then we are stuck.

Are there any scripts that can be used /configured to reference the Macs serial or Mac address in presetup to input these multiple variables?

Currently we are doing all of that manually !

4 REPLIES 4

BoscoATX
New Contributor III

You might be able to use The MUT to update those variables. https://marketplace.jamf.com/details/the-mut/

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Are any of these Macs in Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager? Because the setup you described is a perfect fit for a Prestage Enrollment. You can essentially do all of that with a Prestage + enrollment policy/policies.

I forget to even ask that, I always assume DEP enrollment as I do not really get what anyone would not use it

jpeters21
Contributor II

our naming scheme is kind of crazy so I never even tried fully automating that.. but I have it down to reset device, when it comes back up I am running a set name script from "self service" app (sets Host, LocalHost, and ComputerName using scutil)  then assign to the appropriate Jamf group were it will be bound to AD, get settings and applications on its own.