Remote Commands>iPadOS update

Oakx
New Contributor II

Hello - I'm sending remote commands to 7000 iPads to update iPadOS on supervised devices>Latest version>Download, install and restart. None of the iPads were updated to 16.5(going on the 14th hour mark since commands were sent). 

Under Devices>History>Completed Commands, I see 'AvailableOSUpdates' on all the iPads. 

I am currently on JAMFPro version 10.45. There's no iPadOS defer in place. I've been pushing iPadOS updates throughout the year with no issues until now. Any suggestions? 

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

We have to do a bunch of passes as well for iOS. 

Wondering if you folks have to break up the update in batches for the remote MDM command to go through? We break up the devices into groups under 200-250. If we send one MDM command to a group greater than that, it fails.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

user-dIrrpGXxza
Contributor

You should also see "ScheduleOSUpdate". I've also noticed that even if you use the "download and install", it seems that the first command is always interpreted as "download only" by the device. Sometimes JAMF sends another ScheduelOSUpdate after the download has completed, but not always. It's only when the device receives the second "ScheduleOSUpdate" that the device immediately tries to install and restart. In order to solve this, we do 2-3 passes with a few days interval in order to get the majority of devices to update in a timely fashion.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

We have to do a bunch of passes as well for iOS. 

Wondering if you folks have to break up the update in batches for the remote MDM command to go through? We break up the devices into groups under 200-250. If we send one MDM command to a group greater than that, it fails.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

I've also seen more success if you are specific on what iOS version instead of hitting "Latest version."

And maybe it's just me, but if I send an MDM command to clear Failed MDM commands first, things tend to run smoother and absorption jumps up.

It's not just you. It's my impression as well. Highly recommend it!

I did a batch of 40k this morning. What usually breaks it is that the load balancer breaks the HTTPS connection after a relatively short time frame. The work-around we use, as we run JAMF pro on-prem is to connect directly to a web front-end (tomcat host) and thus bypassing the LB. Then the connection lives a very long time. I would estimate that a mass command action for approx 40k devices takes about 1 hour to complete. Don't forget to click around in other tabs to prevent the session from expiring though!

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Thanks for the info on LB. Just out of curiosity, and for my knowledge, are there any other granular options to bypass the load balancer so the HTTPS connection doesn't break?

Or is it one size fits all?

Maybe, depending on your LB config. But I'd say the far easiest way is to just connect to webservers directly if your setup allows for it.

Oakx
New Contributor II

Thanks everyone for your input. Issue resolved! I did 6 small batches of devices and that worked.

Oakx
New Contributor II

The smaller batches average about 1,200 iPads per update.