S.U.P.E.R.M.A.N api

SW
New Contributor II

Has anyone implemented the API for Superman? Specifically the api details. 

I am a little lost on the configuration of it any help would be appreciated. 

https://github.com/Macjutsu/super

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The options are limitless.  I'm still testing it myself.  You can have one policy that deploys super to all machines, then have separate polices that run /Library/Management/super/super with whichever options you want.  How and when you trigger it all depends on your environment and change control procedures. Once it runs, the deferrals are cached locally into a launchdaemon, so the frequency of the policy really depends on how you set the deferrals.  Read thoroughly the options regarding default-defer and focus-deadline.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Spitzer
New Contributor II

We are using it and are encouraged by the results. What questions do you have?

SW
New Contributor II

Once install onto a Mac how is it triggered is it a manual process each time you want to update?

do you have any recommendations on best practices to make it as foolproof as possible? 

Thanks

Spitzer
New Contributor II

Currently, yes, we trigger it via a policy that we update monthly to meet the deadlines that we have for compliance. 
Kevin, the developer, is working on version 2.0 now and he hopes to have a daily run companion part.
As for the API part, creating a user with a very narrow permission set does the trick for us. When we don't have a mandatory update policy running we can disable that user or change the password and it is neutered. 

SW
New Contributor II

Thanks this makes sense now.

daniel_behan
Contributor III

For Apple Silicon Macs, you need either script user credentials that have boot volume ownership, or use API commands in a script so that MDM Commands push the updates.  The API credentials in JAMF Pro need the following Permissions: "Computers Create", " Compuers Read", and "Send Computer Remote Command
to Download and Install macOS Update".

You can encrypt those credentials in a script.  The deferral and deadline options need to be read through a few times to suit your environment.

I have a policy that caches super, then runs the following script.  In this example, I left a default of 3 deferrals.

"#!/bin/bash

function superSilicon () {
APIUSER="JAMF_APIUSER"
pword="Encrypted_JAMF_APIPASSWORD"
/Library/Management/super/super --jamf-account $APIUSER --jamf-password $pword --count-deadline 3
}

function superIntel () {
/Library/Management/super/super --count-deadline 3
}

function superbyProcessor () {
# Check to see if Intel or Apple Silicon
processor=$(/usr/bin/arch)
if [ "$processor" = "i386" ]; then
superIntel
elif [ "$processor" = "arm64" ]; then
superSilicon
fi
}

# Run SUPER if installed
if [ -f "/Library/Management/super/super" ] ; then
superbyProcessor
else /usr/local/bin/jamf install -package super.pkg -path /Library/Application\ Support/JAMF/Waiting\ Room/ -target "/"
superbyProcessor
fi"

SW
New Contributor II

We plan on using the API for both and seem to have to set up, how is it you are triggering it? 
and what was your way of deploying?

For testing I trigger it with a monthly check in using execute command /super however this will prompt the users regardless of pending updates or not.

Thank you 

The options are limitless.  I'm still testing it myself.  You can have one policy that deploys super to all machines, then have separate polices that run /Library/Management/super/super with whichever options you want.  How and when you trigger it all depends on your environment and change control procedures. Once it runs, the deferrals are cached locally into a launchdaemon, so the frequency of the policy really depends on how you set the deferrals.  Read thoroughly the options regarding default-defer and focus-deadline.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

getting Error: Unrecognized Options: --count-deadline 3

Spitzer
New Contributor II

Join the #super slack channel in Mac Admins. Kevin is responsive and helpful.
https://macadmins.slack.com/archives/C03LKQ8EN2C

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

changed-count-deadline 3 to --hard-count=3

currently version 2 once deferred creates a launch daemon pointing to /Library/Management/super/super-starter which doesn't exist and so it does nothing.

duff2481-1
New Contributor III

Can you also use for prompting users to upgrade 3rd party applications too? I looked at IBM Notifier some months ago but never got around to doing anything with it. 

manjunath
New Contributor II

Can anyone show with an example on how to deploy the SUPER policy or configuration profile? 

user-LYBGeLSLLt
New Contributor II

yaaa, please?