Standard users wifi settings Monterey

ejadadic
New Contributor III

Greetings everyone,

I would like to see if folks have a solution in place for standard Monterey users being able to modify wifi settings without admin privileges?

7 REPLIES 7

geoff_widdowson
Contributor II

I run a policy on all my device that unlocks the network settings.

#!/bin/sh

security authorizationdb write system.preferences.network allow
security authorizationdb write system.services.systemconfiguration.network allow
/usr/libexec/airportd prefs RequireAdminNetworkChange=NO RequireAdminIBSS=NO

Hi, what target systems is this going to? I'm trying your exact script, I copied and pasted it... And while it looks unlocked it will still ask the user for admin username and password when they click apply.

I need to be able to give users the power to re-arrange the order and remove unwanted wifi networks.

I decided to run the commands one by one inside terminal and noticed that it barks at that last one. I get the following error "Failed to commit preference changes (Permission denied).".

I saw on some other posts a suggestion to address the network port direct via en0 or whatever address your wifi is on but that sadly made no difference.

ejadadic
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply. We run something similar at least in the last part 

/usr/libexec/airportd prefs RequireAdminNetworkChange=NO RequireAdminIBSS=NO worked in the past, does this require to be run at each reboot?

Each of my unlock polices is set to run each week. I don't think you need to do it every reboot, but something reverts the setting back to default, I forget what. The polices running weekly works for me.

Thank you!

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

@ejadadic I would set up Outset to run this script at login-every so it will ensure users don't lose access. I think this database gets reset after updates and sometimes after reboot.
https://github.com/chilcote/outset

Read My Blog: https://www.ericsontech.com