Users can delete iOS apps

Kthelin
New Contributor II

Our school purchased 40 new iPads for an elementary class. (Generation 9) I noticed that students have the option to delete the app. I have checked the config file and they should not be able to do this. I also went into a few apps and made sure they couldn't delete it there also. Is it a gen 9 iPad issue? I wouldn't think so but is anyone else seeing this? Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Kirk

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I got it. 

Thanks mainelysteve!!!

Kirk

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

To start with can you let us know which product you're using? Is it jamf Pro or jamf School?

Secondly there are several settings that can determine if an app can be delete-able. There are two settings within the Restrictions payload(note: this is jamf School wording) "Allow removing apps" and "Allow removal of system apps". If those are set and the configuration profile is properly scoped to these 40 iPads that should be enough. jamf School can also allow you to selectively prevent removal of an app (iOS 14 and above) and or have it reinstall if it does happen to be removed.

For reference I've had about 600+ 9th Gen iPads come in and haven't experienced this or any other issues. 

Use jamf pro and checked my config settings and that appeared ok. But maybe I didn't scope it our properly.  I will check that!!!

Thanks for the quick solution.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

In that case your restrictions payload should look like the screenshot below to limit the ability to remove apps. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 4.00.56 PM.png

I think I got it. 

Thanks mainelysteve!!!

Kirk

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

It might also be worth noting that restricting the removal of apps also requires the device be Supervised.  As long as the device has been enrolled via Automated Device Enrollment, this should be the case, but if the device is managed, and the profile is on the device, but the user is able to remove apps, this might be worth checking (see the 'General' tab in the device inventory record).