AD homefolders and SMB shares no mounting very well...

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hey guys I have a buddy in Augsburg that is having a lot of problems with his AD and 10.7 clients. I am not using AD yet so here is the description

"Configuration: Windows AD, Mac Server SnowLeopard for deploying settings (workgroup manager) All Mac Clients (Lion) are connected to the AD and Mac Server, Login Items are being deployed via Mac Server (no OD) The Network share is on a Windows 2008 R2 Server (smb) DFS is activated but cant be deployed via Mac Server (because we have a Snow Leopard server that doesnt work with DFS), so i have to deploy the IP adresses to the shares. About 60% of the time, the share will not mount when a user logs into their (mobile) account. The access of the share is very slow sometimes, and sometimes it takes a few seconds to even show up."

I am seeing him on Monday to show off my JSS, might be a new JSS customer but if you guys have a list of things to check, let me know. I did send him the mcx preference for no .DS_store creation on network shares but any feedback would be great

(Golden Triangle Setup)

Hope its not a problem to post here, I know its for JSS but want to use our Borg brain for this and there is a lot of AD guys here ... he is my neighbor here in Germany :)

3 REPLIES 3

andyinindy
Contributor II

Rob:

We are also having trouble mounting home folders via the AD plugin in Lion. Did you ever determine the cause of this issue?

Thanks,

--Andy

Nguyen
New Contributor III

Hi Rob Potvin

Could you share me your the mcx preference to map the network share please? I am trying to use mcx preference to map network share but i don't know how to. If posible some screen shot will be helpful.
Thank you in advance

tijones
New Contributor II

Easy this login script with a launchd works with mobile accounts etc, also give you option to load others

Hope it helps , I had the same issue with the AD plugin in 107 and 108, Also with mobile accounts and wifi etc

Applescript

set loggedInUser to do shell script "whoami"
try do shell script "umount ~/Home"
end try
try do shell script "rmdir ~/Home"
end try
try do shell script "mkdir ~/Home"
end try

set accountType to do shell script "dscl "/Active Directory/AUTUNI/All Domains" -read /Users/" & loggedInUser & " | grep UniqueID | cut -c 11-"

if accountType is less than 1000 then tell me to quit
end if

set ADHome to do shell script "dscl "/Active Directory/AUTUNI/All Domains" -read /Users/" & loggedInUser & "| grep SMBHome: | cut -c 10- | sed 's/\///g' | sed 's/stf2/stf2.autuni.aut.ac.nz/' | sed 's/stf1/stf1.autuni.aut.ac.nz/'| sed 's/stu/stu.autuni.aut.ac.nz/'"

set ADGroups to do shell script "dscl "/Active Directory/AUTUNI/All Domains" -read /Users/" & loggedInUser & " | awk '/^dsAttrTypeNative:memberOf:/,/^dsAttrTypeNative:msExchHomeServerName:/'"
if ADGroups contains "DC=AUTUNI" then try do shell script "mount -t smbfs " & ADHome & " ~/Home" end try

end if
if ADGroups contains "auto-staff-users" then try mount volume "SMB://admin.autuni.aut.ac.nz/admin" end try try mount volume "SMB://share.autuni.aut.ac.nz/share" end try
end if

if ADGroups contains "auto-dept-i" then try mount volume "SMB://software.autuni.aut.ac.nz/software" end try
end if
if ADGroups contains "DC=AUTUNI" then try mount volume "SMB://copy.autuni.aut.ac.nz/copy" end try
end if