AD Users "Desktop" Home folder

FastGM3
Contributor

In Mountain Lion, when an AD User logs in their home folder appears in the dock and on the desktop. The home folder on the desktop is the actual volume where their home folder lives, so they see more than we want them to.

How can I just make that "Desktop" home folder "NOT" appear? I still want the one in the doc.

BTW, we still want mounted servers to appear on the desktop when a user connects to one.

Thanks,
Chuck

5 REPLIES 5

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Uncheck the "Use UNC path..." option in the AD plugin settings.

FastGM3
Contributor

Then their AD home folder goes away altogether. We want it on the dock, not the desktop but we want user mounted servers on the desktop. I tried using the SetFile command to hide the visibility but that doesn't work on mounted volumes.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I think what Jared is saying is that it maybe a permissions issue with the Users account trying to create a profile in the Home Folder location.

IIRC, I think you can use MCX or a config profile to add the Home Folder to the dock.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

No, not what I was saying. Unchecking the Use UNC path... option causes the home folder to not be mounted automatically and placed on the Dock. I think you're right that there's an MCX SpecialFolder setting or some such that you could push down.

FastGM3
Contributor

We ended up changing the permissions on the network volume/folder, now they only see their username when it's opened.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Chuck