Adobe CS5 installation fails

jonscott
New Contributor

Hi All, I'm pushing a CS5 package created using AAMEE. On some machines this installs well enough (other issues I won't go into), but on a few machines the installation fails. The log on the JSS shows:

Installing AdobeCS5DesignStandard_Install.pkg
Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is Adobe Setup
installer: Installing at base path /
installer:PHASE:Preparing for installation
installer:PHASE:Preparing the Disk
installer:STATUS:Preparing Target Volume
installer:PHASE:Preparing Adobe Setup
installer:STATUS:
installer:PHASE:Installing Adobe Setup
installer:STATUS:
installer:STATUS:Configuring Installation
installer: The install failed (The following install step failed: run preinstall script for Adobe Setup. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)

Nope, I haven't contacted Adobe yet. Thought I'd see if anyone else has come across anything similar. The installation log on the machine looks like a mess – wading through that now…
The package preinstall script doesn't look too bad, but not sure yet where it's choking.

Jon

3 REPLIES 3

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

What happens if you move /Library/ColorSync/Profiles out of the way (rename it to /Library/ColorSync/Profiles_BKP) and try deploying CS5 again?

JAMF Composer converts necessary aliases to actual folders. That causes the AAMEE generated pkg installer for CS5 to fail with the error:

Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is Adobe Setup

We deploy Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 first, but our PKG has /Library/ColorSync/Profiles_BKP so it doesn't cause deployment problems. We just completed a rather large Mac refresh for a graphics/multimedia company...all new Macs had CS5 installed at imaging time; some had it installed via push (for logistical reasons). No problems so far...more refreshes coming. :)

PS, Hats off to Jody Rodgers at Adobe for AAMEE... :)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

jonscott
New Contributor

Thanks Don, I'll give this a shot.
I'm currently pushing CS5 to Macs that previously had CS4, removing CS4 via JAMF's resource kit script. CS5 fails to install on some but not all Macs. Trying to track down the differences and see what might be happening.
I was able to push a separate CS5 package created in Composer when the AAMEE package failed. That's not ideal, as I do like the options AAMEE provides for the most part! :) But the Composer package did work.

I'll try rebuilding my Acro9Pro package first, though, and see if renaming /Library/ColorSync/Profiles changes anything with the CS5 installation.

Thanks,
Jon

My own PS: any problems with the Illustrator 15.0.2 patch? My AAMEE-generated Ai 15.0.2 patch does not apply - and digging into the package I found differences in some permissions. I can manually pull the package from Casper's fileshare and run it, but pushing via policy or Remote does not work.
This Illustrator package (vs. Photoshop 12.0.2 or InDesign 7.0.3) is more restrictive at:
/AdobeCS5_Illustrator15.0.2_Update.pkg/Contents/Resources/Patches/AdobeIllustratorCS5-15.0-15.0.2/AdobeIllustratorCS5 and below.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Jon,

I actually posted the same issue a week or three ago. We were trying to deploy CS4 along with CS5 at imaging time...the former was breaking.

Resolved by doing the following:

1. Install CS4 at imaging time (this will install Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 as well). 2. Update CS4 (until all updates are applied) 3. Update Acrobat Pro 9 (same as #1) 4. Manual trigger to install CS5 (uber-package; maximum suppression)

The above works like a charm. The problem appears to have been CS4 and Acrobat Pro 9 (bundled) needed to be updated....BEFORE we installed CS5.

The techs love manual triggers. ;)

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com