Adobe Illustrator 2021 lists without 2021

c_archibald
Contributor II

So I've been perplexed on why the Smart Computer Groups I made for Illustrator 2021 kept saying 0. Long story short, recon is inventorying it WITHOUT the " 2021" in the name. So without adding Like v25, in JAMF it's basically the same as the old Illustrator. Can someone PLEASE change this as so far it is the ONLY Adobe 2020/2021 product that inventories wrong.

4 REPLIES 4

aaronj
New Contributor III

I think this one is on Adobe's shoulders. If you check the path from the CLI, the actual application path is: /Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2021/Adobe Illustrator.app, and that holds true for 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.

I was using an extension attribute to detect whether the app was installed and what version was present. Don't forget to change the year as needed!

#!/bin/bash

##################################################################
# Purpose:  Version of  Illustrator 2020, as name is identical for 2018-2021
# Author:   Aaron J <aar......nt.com>
##################################################################

YEAR="2020"
[ "$YEAR" -lt 2019 ] && CC=" CC" || CC=""
PLIST="/Applications/Adobe Illustrator$CC $YEAR/Adobe Illustrator.app/Contents/Info.plist"

if [ -f "${PLIST}" ]; then
  CFBundleVersion=$(defaults read "${PLIST}" CFBundleVersion)
  echo "<result>$CFBundleVersion</result>"
else
  echo "<result>None</result>"
fi

exit 0

Adobe applications can be fun, especially when trying to script things like uninstalls, backing up preferences, etc.

c_archibald
Contributor II

On all of my machines, the installed path is:
/Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2021/Adobe Illustrator 2021.app

JAMF lists:
/Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2021/Adobe Illustrator.app

Pretty sure it's JAMF.

Adobe is the biggest bane of my job.

aaronj
New Contributor III

Hmmm.... Was curious if Jamf was somehow making some sort of change during the installation, so I checked on a machine that isn't managed by Jamf. I've included both the Finder view, and the command line in the attached screenshot.

Honestly, I wasn't even sure that a POSIX path could differ materially from the traditional MacOS path, but there it is...

94584b2619954f098142f14c1c1ffd53

c_archibald
Contributor II

Very weird. Yeah, terminal says it's Adobe Illustrator.app & finder clearly shows the date. So Mac OS & Adobe?

I've done a fresh clean install after uninstalling what I can, delete the remaining, carve out the cancerous extra junk Adobe folders, & delete anything from Keychain that is Adobe. If I do an upgrade install, it leaves the APP named as it was, like without a date or with the 2020.