Any upgrade doc from 8.7x to 9.x?

ShakataGaNai
New Contributor III

Currently running 8.73, the upgrades haven't been an issue. However, I'm assuming the jump from 8 to 9 might be slightly more involved. I can't find any published documents about the upgrade process, beyond "Test it". Does anyone have any written up experiences of upgrading? Tips/tricks/caveats?

5 REPLIES 5

mcrispin
Contributor II

Test it - of course. :)

We found the transition to be a bit more smooth when restoring a backup of 8.72 than trying to perform an inline migration. We also changed our organizational schema (from departments primarily to about 10 "Sites"), so there was a lot of work parsing out the computer groups, managed prefs, mobile groups, etc. Also, we are still fiddling with the permissions for Casper access which demonstrate some odd behaviors when used in conjunction with sites. Basically, we think you are better off creating permission sets for each site than attempting to have a single user join an access level, than a group dedicated to a site, or one user being an administrator for multiple sites.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

I would wait if your thinking about 9.2

in 9.0 that screwed the JSS right and proper that I don't believe it was tested properly and my opinion wasn't ready for release, regardless if its a test environment or not you would still have to spent your time rebuilding the environment.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@ShakataGaNai There were some points covered in the upgrade to casper 9 session @JNUC2013.. Things i can remember:

• Create a Backup
  • Trim the logs to as little as possible
  • Managed preferences that are not scoped will be removed, to get around this create a group & add those that are unused to that group
  • Create a Backup
  • Manual managed preferences may not port over, so make a note/copy of them 1st
  • Create a Backup

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@tkimpton 9.12 & now 9.2 seemingly has fixed most issues.. the above MCX are due to table changes..

i may accelerate my v9 deployment

ShakataGaNai
New Contributor III

@bentoms Of course that session is the one I really wanted to make, but couldn't for scheduling reasons. I'm not sure when the videos will hit the web, so I figured I'd ask here.

So if I understand what you're saying... I should probably backup first?

Our install isn't that complex yet, so I'd like to jump from 8.73 to 9.x (I guess 9.2) before the gap gets too big and upgrades become even more challenging.