Anyone else have a significant increase in server traffic with v9.12?

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi All,

since upgrading to v9.12 I have noticed a significant increase in the amount of traffic traversing the internet to our JSS server. In the last 7 days there has been 19.7GB traffic from external IPs to our JSS server. Prior to upgrading, for the entire month of September, there was only 2.9GB of traffic. If this trend continues, this is an increase of 3000%.

I'm trying to get a feel for what would be "normal". I've asked JAMF but they didn't have any idea on what would be normal traffic for 1300 iPads. I'm wondering if anyone here has noticed a marked increase, or has any way of measuring their traffic patterns.

It should be noted that these figures only count the traffic coming into our server from external IP addresses. I would expect that a good proportion of our devices checking during the day while onsite so the actual traffic levels are perhaps even much higher than that.

Cheers,
Chris.

4 REPLIES 4

jgwatson
Contributor

Chris, just curious what program are you using to measure this traffic?

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi James,

I have an Exinda bandwidth management unit. This device allows me to allocate bandwidth to individual applications / network addresses and also provides monitoring and reporting. It also provides a real-time view of the packets coming in and out of the network.

I noticed this issue because every few days I target my highest usage hosts and manage any "user" hosts that hit the top 10 on a regular basis. I have noticed that my JSS server is at the top of my list every day since the upgrade.

There are generally at least 15, sometimes up to 30, external hosts communicating with the JSS server at any point in time. This is out of 1300 iPads enrolled. This just seems excessive.

I collect inventory once per day, so 1300 iPads inventoried once per day is one iPad every 1.1 minute. Realistically, the JSS server should be idle for significant portions of the day I would have expected.

Cheers,
Chris.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Do you deploy In-House apps either from the DB or hosted on the JSS server?

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi Chris,

we did earlier this year but not any more.

Cheers,
Chris.