App Store App Adoption

tmaeda
New Contributor

I'm sure I've just missed it in my readings, but I haven't been able to find out what exactly the "Allow App Store app adoption" option does, and doesn't do.

Any assistance or links to more information would be gladly received.

7 REPLIES 7

ctangora
Contributor III

My understanding is that is allows applications that are available in the App Store, but were not purchased/downloaded through the app store to be updated through the app store.

charles_hitch
Contributor II

I am not familiar with this setting. Where is it?

ctangora
Contributor III

It is part of a MDM profile, I forget which one though.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=9048

Under the Applications tab there is an item called "Allow App Store Adoption". This is checked by default.
Uncheck this to prevent users from adopting apps that come free with your Mac.

Aguiness
New Contributor III

Hi ok thanks But I am not using Apple ids I’m using manage distribution device based so will the Mac get assigned the license and it will then update without the users interaction

If not I can script the removal and then install from Jamf

I can’t test this yet as I don’t have the computers yet

JeanetteA
New Contributor

robhealea
New Contributor II

I know I'm late to the party on this topic. Maybe this info will help someone new.

I used to use Meraki MDM. In their settings there is an option called 'Attempt To Manage Unmanaged Apps'. This is where you are pushing out an app to a device and the device already has that app installed. Instead of ignoring the app since it's already there, it uses a license and takes ownership of the app. Now the MDM controls the app.

That's what this 'App Store Adoption' option is offering, but at the user level. In this case, a new Mac comes with certain apps that a fresh install of macOS doesn't have. A user logs in, those apps are free and already installed, the user is offered the chance to 'adopt', or own, the apps. If the user chooses to own them, then the apps will act like the user downloaded them and they will get updates and the like. The user can opt to not adopt the apps. The user can still use the apps, but they will not get updates. 

In Jamf, if you push out those same apps, you will be managing them by using a license. There is no need to remove them first, as Aguiness, above, asked. There is an option in Jamf to allow Adoption. Since I don't know what the future holds, I have this turned off. However, I push out the free software that comes on the Macs, anyway, so Jamf can control the updates.