App unavailable in JamF Pro, but available on App Store

Bcodom
New Contributor

I had a curious question about something I noticed while auditing our managed apps in our JamF Pro instance. I think a few of our apps have shown this same message, but I wanted to focus on this one because of the unique situation.

The app in question is called Audio Exam Player. The app is designed for dyslexic students to read of a recording of a test or quiz a teacher has set up and the student can listen to the questions and answers (there is an Audio Exam Creator that goes with it). I noticed today that in our JamF Pro that the following error messages came up when I viewed the app settings.

This app is disabled. It is not deployed to users or devices and is no longer available from Self Service.

Complete information about this app is currently unavailable, or the app may be unavailable from the App Store.

I also have a screenshot of the app settings attached. I did see that the app is still listed in the App Store as well as Apple School Manager, so I am not sure why I am getting this error message in JamF. Can anyone give me some insight as to why? Thanks!

AEP Error.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

I believe that sounds correct. I have had this happen before. I have also had to reach out to the vendor as there was an app that needed to be an update sent to Apple. I know this can be daunting especially with no notifiction. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I just tried looking this up in Apps & Books and it's not showing up in the list. It seems likely that the app was taken down, maybe just temporarily, from the app catalog. Is this the only app you're getting this error message with? Have you checked any others?

Bcodom
New Contributor

I think I have a few more that might have the same error, but yeah some of them have been delisted so I am not surprised. What surprises me about this particular app is I can search for it in the Apple App Store (see link below). I didn't think it was removed, but I wonder if maybe it's not supported because it wasn't updated.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audio-exam-player/id673349857?mt=8

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

I believe that sounds correct. I have had this happen before. I have also had to reach out to the vendor as there was an app that needed to be an update sent to Apple. I know this can be daunting especially with no notifiction. 

EduTech
New Contributor III

This may be partially correct. I have also had where an app was temporarily removed. Jamf does not appear to recheck for it once it has been removed. So it becomes disabled. The app may be back in the app store and all licenses are still valid. I have had to delete the app. And in Jamf add the app back in "+" button top right corner of Mobile device apps.  

Samstar777
Contributor II

You see this behaviour when an app is taken down from apps and books in Apple Business Manager

jamflund
New Contributor III

You can search a app in Apple School Manager via apps id number if it not listed via it's name.

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

sometimes the vendor has not notified Apple that they pulled the application or the vendor has or is in the process of updating the app. Also, I have seen that the new app or an update is in the process of being synced and it has not synced to the Jamf Pro just yet. If it is on the public store and you have your apple school or business manager up to date, token wise, you will get the app it might simply take some time. 

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

ops, sorry, I replied to this already. What application is it can you send the link? As I have mentioned I have had to reach out to the application vendor from time to time, then poof it is there.