Apple IDs required on iPad Apple Apps

jmwillets
New Contributor

We have supervised ipads that are on carts and not set up with an Apple ID. The Apple apps (iMovie, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Garageband) will not open without an Apple ID. How do I circumvent that?

7 REPLIES 7

miregan
Contributor II

Not sure you can. AFAIK they need an apple id to be used.

cboatwright
New Contributor III

These apps need to be installed through JSS using a VPP license, and marked "Make app managed when possible" and "Make app managed if currently installed as unmanaged" to get past this. If you run into the error on an older model iPad that does not support iOS 11 then you are going to need to get creative...

JulieLB
New Contributor II

This just fixed my week.  Thank you.  This worked exactly as I needed it to.  😎

bburdeaux
Contributor II

The iWork apps that come preinstalled on new iPads are not the same as what is downloaded from the app store. These versions are hard coded to attach themselves to an Apple ID before they can be used. You have to remove this preinstalled version of the app, and let the JSS install the real version for your device assigned license to take effect. We usually just restore the iPads using Apple Configurator 2 before setting them up to both get the devices updated to the latest OS and remove the preinstalled apps.

jmwillets
New Contributor

They were set up as managed in JSS.

thejenbot
Contributor III

If you have the 5th gen iPads and the apps came pre-installed, you can delete them and re-install from Self Service; afterwards they won't require the Apple ID.

don_cochran
New Contributor III

I can confirm the “fix” is to delete the apps and install using apps obtained via VPP. We just deployed 2400 5th generation iPads and we had to do this to make the apps usable without an Apple ID