Apple SUS

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

Is there a way to ignore an update coming from Apple's SUS without running a local SUS?

I have a group of machines that are trying to install an update every night. They say they are successful, but then they install the same update the next day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III
sudo softwareupdate --ignore <updatename>

But... there's a little trick to getting this to work correctly. It seems it only accepts the shortname of the update minus any version information. Using Remote Desktop Client Update 3.6.1 as an example, if I do this-

sudo softwareupdate --ignore RemoteDesktopClient-3.6.1

(Short name of the current update) it won't work.

If I do:

sudo softwareupdate --ignore Remote Desktop Client Update

(Human readable name) it also does not work.

The only thing that works is

sudo softwareupdate --ignore RemoteDesktopClient

So basically the short name of the update without the -(version) part.

You should be able to put something together in a policy using the Advanced / Run Command and target those Macs.

That being said, you probably will want to figure out why the update is failing on those Macs. The above should only be stopgap fix.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III
sudo softwareupdate --ignore <updatename>

But... there's a little trick to getting this to work correctly. It seems it only accepts the shortname of the update minus any version information. Using Remote Desktop Client Update 3.6.1 as an example, if I do this-

sudo softwareupdate --ignore RemoteDesktopClient-3.6.1

(Short name of the current update) it won't work.

If I do:

sudo softwareupdate --ignore Remote Desktop Client Update

(Human readable name) it also does not work.

The only thing that works is

sudo softwareupdate --ignore RemoteDesktopClient

So basically the short name of the update without the -(version) part.

You should be able to put something together in a policy using the Advanced / Run Command and target those Macs.

That being said, you probably will want to figure out why the update is failing on those Macs. The above should only be stopgap fix.

Hope that helps.

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

It's a Superdrive firmware update that's not going through. TBH, I have been trying halfheartedly to figure out why because those machines are being replaced as soon as I get the time to setup the new ones. I've been saying that since September though so I thought I'd just try to get them to stop altogether.

Thanks for the response, that worked like a charm.