Brand new MBPro not booting

alexmes
New Contributor

I just receive a new MacBookPro 13". When I try to boot to CasperSuite I only see a grey screen with the Apple logo. All new updates are installed, on server and device. I also received a brand new Imac 27" and that one is working perfect! In a few weeks i have to restore/install 150 new MBpro 13" laptops with a Lion Image. Server version: OSX Server 10.6

Thanks in advance!

21 REPLIES 21

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

"Boot to CasperSuite" Do you mean netboot?

alexmes
New Contributor

Yes...CasperSuite is using the NetBoot service, right?

ernstcs
Contributor III

I'm sure what Jared was going to say is that an image used for NetBoot, NetInstall, etc. must be created on the newest hardware type in order for it to work properly, but didn't want to assume. So if the MBP 13" was the newest model you've bought you'll need to create a new image for NetBoot on that hardware. In theory then it should work for that model and all the older models. There are a few instances during a transition from a new OS and new hardware models where there is a split in builds that you can't do this. I think they new MBP Retina units with 10.7 were this case, they had their own version until 10.8 came out.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Yup. It would explain why the iMac would boot but the MacBook Pro wouldn't.

techmchs
New Contributor III

Yes a new netboot image.. happened to us after Mt. Lion shipped.. we bought a laptop two weeks after our initial purchase..same specs but would not boot from our image.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@techmchs We took a Mid 2012 MacBook Pro (15-Inch, Retina) laptop and followed JAMF's articles to create Base/Restore/NetBoot images, we haven't had a problem. In fact, we're using this new NBI to boot all MacBook Pro laptops. From what I've seen and read, this could have been done with any of the Mid 2012 MacBook Pro models.

What is the OS build on your NBI? Ours is 10.7.4 (11e2620).

Was the NBI created using one of the Mid 2012 MacBook Pros?

Still waiting/hoping for Apple to release 10.7.5 as they are continuing to seed builds...

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

In my testing, Ivy Bridge MacBook Airs have a later Lion rev than the Retina MBP and works just fine as well.

alexmes
New Contributor

Thanks all for the replies. I am working now on creating a new bootimage from the new laptop. Hope it will work.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@alexmes JAMF's guidelines:

Creating Minimal Base OS Images for Restore or NetBoot/NetInstall Imaging
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=63

Most important take away...use the latest hardware when following the above steps.

Don

--

alexmes
New Contributor

After 2 days of trying I did not managed to get it work :s I tried:
- Install 13" laptop with MountainLion (clean)
- Capture an Image of the laptop via Thunderbolt on another Mac -> Target Disk Mode
- Put the image on the NetBoot server. Older laptops get an error trying to use the image, and the new laptop still stuck on de grey screen with Apple logo (after i saw the little globe truning around)
- I used the link from donmatalvo
- I tried to Image the laptop with the Target Disk Mode option with succes!

Do you guys think the problem is maybe that i use OSX 10.6 server with an MacMini Server?

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Alex did you do every step of the image creation on that new 13" MBP? Everything has to be done on that machine. These are the steps I always follow, all of which are done on the same piece of hardware:

- boot machine and configure it with Casper Imaging per the link Don sent
- plug in a USB hard drive and boot the machine to recovery partition
- use recovery to recover to the USB drive
- boot machine from USB drive and configure USB drive with basic info
- install Server Admin tools on the USB drive
- use System Image Utility from USB drive to create image from the internal hard drive

As long as you do all of that on the one machine I've never had a problem net booting a new piece of hardware that is the same as what I created the image on or prior models.

HTH

Steve

alexmes
New Contributor

I will try it again. But the link is not totally right. The 3rd step tells to use the "Custom" setup method. But with Mountain Lion setup i don't have that option

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

nm

--

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Alex the key is to create an image that has minimal items on it, logs in automatically, and opens Casper Imaging. The steps I use when creating the minimal image is this:

- run all software updates from Apple
- run DirectoryUtility and enable root user
- login as root user
- set machine to login automatically as root user
- install Casper Imaging and add to dock and select to "Open at Login"
- delete un-needed apps from Applications and Utilities to slim down image
- reboot machine and verify it logs in as root and opens Casper Imaging

After I've done that, I boot off of the USB drive and clear out the following:

/System/Library/Caches/*
/Library/Caches/*
/private/var/vm/sleepimage
/private/var/vm/swapfile*

After that I use System Image Utility to create the image. You do not need to use Composer first, just use SIU to create the image.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@alexmes wrote:

Do you guys think the problem is maybe that i use OSX 10.6 server with an MacMini Server?

I would have OS X Server at 10.8 so SIU "knows" about the new hardware.

Don

--

alexmes
New Contributor

@SteveWood: Thank you! I will give it a try today! I will let you know if that was the sollution.

@Don: Ok, thanks! That sollution will be the sollution I will try last because we don't have a new server and that will cost some euro's :)

alexmes
New Contributor

Ok, I tried everything you said, but no progression :s I am afraid I have to look for a newer server version of OSX...I will let it know...

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

I don't think the server OS version has anything to do with it. Unless you're actually restricting what image can boot what hardware, it shouldn't matter. Server 10.6 should be fine. The machine will get kickstarted and ask for the OS image. As long as that OS image has the needed drivers to boot that hardware, you're fine.

alexmes
New Contributor

It seems there is some progression! I installed the server again, and now I can boot! Just another question:

I did create a image with SIU. The image is about 16GB in size. I think it is to big. I clean all the apps, etc (as SteveWood told to do) Is there something I forgot? I installed the MBPro clean, connect it to an iMac, boot the MBPro, set the MBPro to TargetImagingMode, connect to the iMac, connect the thunderbolt cable and make an image with SIU. After that, I copied the nbi folder to the Netboot (OSX) server. It seems booting is pretty slow to, although it is working!

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@Alex did you clear out these directories on the MBP before using SIU:

/System/Library/Caches/*
/Library/Caches/*
/private/var/vm/sleepimage
/private/var/vm/swapfile*

I've found that the last two especially is where most space is used up. A 12gb or higher sleepimage file is not uncommon.

techmchs
New Contributor III

@Don Montalvo it was created during the Jumpstart.. I know it was created on a new macbook pro 2011 and SIU.