Can I deploy web clips when I have apps totally locked down?

nestordevicemgm
New Contributor

We are managing iPads out in the field and it has become necessary to completely lock down use of apps using the "Only Allow Some Apps" setting and then providing a list of the specific list of apps that can be installed on the device This, however, leads to a problem using Web Clips....once the configuration profile with all the restrictions is distributed to the device, all of the web clips applied to the device disappear. If you remove the restrictions, the web clips reappear. Is there a way to make the web clips unrestricted, or work around the app restrictions so that they continue to appear?

9 REPLIES 9

nvandam
Contributor II

As far as I know, the only way to get around this behavior is to blacklist the apps you don't want, rather than whitelisting the ones you do...

jared_f
Valued Contributor

Add the following to your whitelist profile and it will allow deployed web clips to appear.

com.apple.webapp

boom boom

jared_f
Valued Contributor

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/19428/ios-9-3-web-clips-and-the-restricted-apps-payload

nestordevicemgm
New Contributor

Thank you so much for the info...worked like a charm! Now I just need to get better at using the right language when searching, and perhaps I can start finding the existing answers on my own.

Thanks again...you made my day!

jared_f
Valued Contributor

No worries. It took me a while to find that configuration when I was deploying our MDM.

bcherry1
New Contributor

Hello,

When I add com.apple.webclip to my white list I see the webclip appear, however I also see several other icons appear that have the same name is my webclip but they do not go to the URL.  They do nothing.  Anyone know what would cause this?

bcherry1
New Contributor

sorry I added com.apple.webapp not webclip.

Xio
New Contributor

Hi,

i have the same problem like @bcherry1 , how could solve that? I see every Webclip six times.

Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?