Casper 8.22 Self Service prompting for local admin authentication

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I'm seeing an issue with Casper 8.22's Self Service install, where an install that takes a while succeeds but then other installations queued up behind it now prompt for a local administrator's username and password.

Where I'm seeing it: After a long install through 8.22's Self Service (my test case is installing XCode 4.0.2 on a 10.6.8 Mac, which took about 30 minutes to download and install from the Casper server,) it looks like following queued installs are requesting a local administrator's authorization before installing. The first install did not require local authentication.

Workaround: If you quit and re-launch Self Service, you can re-run the Self Service install without being prompted for user name and password.

What could be causing this behavior and is there something I can change on the server to fix this behavior? My current Self Service End-User Authentication settings are set to not require local authentication.

Thanks,
Rich

---
Rich Trouton
troutonr at janelia.hhmi.org

JFRC Help Desk
phone: x4030
email: helpdesk at janelia.hhmi.org

The best way to get in touch with me is through email.

4 REPLIES 4

bentoms

Does your distribution point have http enabled?

If so, try some of the policies over AFP/SMB & see if that makes things run quicker.

Regards,

Ben.

rtrouton

My Casper server's using only HTTP for distribution (Our Casper server is on Linux, so no AFP.)

I'd prefer to keep it over HTTP if possible (to avoid "what's this thing that appears and disappears from my desktop" questions, among other reasons.)

Thanks,
Rich

golbiga
Contributor III
Contributor III

I actually saw this as well, I had a few installs queued up and after the first one (CS5) it prompted me for my password. My End-User Authentication settings are also set to not require local auth. This was on 8.21.

Allen

dkucmierz
Contributor

I would guess the local authorization is timing out before the policies
are finished. I can't remember what the timer is exactly, like 5 or 10
minutes.

--

David Kucmierz
Mesquite ISD Technical Services