Casper Admin's window positioning

Not applicable

Hello,

It seems Casper Admin remembers its window positions, which is ordinarily a good thing -- the Admin window is right where you left it the last time you quit the program. Unfortunately, this can cause a problem when using a laptop with a secondary screen attached.

While I had both screens active, I quit Casper Admin while the Admin window was open on the secondary screen. Later, when I was away from my desk (and only had the built-in screen available to me), I launched Casper Admin again. I got the Casper Admin menu bar, but the window was not visible to me. I eventually figured out that the Admin window would have been open on the secondary screen, but that screen was no longer available to the computer.

I tried adjusting the screen resolution; I tried using the "Detect Displays" command; I tried quitting and relaunching Casper Admin. However, I was unable to convince the Casper Admin window to appear until I reattached the secondary screen. Then I could move the Admin window back to the primary screen.

In hindsight, I suppose I could have tried using AppleScript to set the position of the window, but still -- I feel that Casper Admin should check to see if its window will be outside the screen boundary, and adjust the positioning if necessary.

I haven't checked to see whether Casper or Composer also exhibit this behavior, but if they do, well... They should also check their window position versus the available screen boundary.
--
Bryan K. Vines
Systems Administrator
Department of Information Systems
Watts Law Firm, L.L.P.

1 REPLY 1

talkingmoose

Good idea. QuarkXPress implemented this preference a couple of versions
On 2/15/07 3:47 PM, "Bryan Vines" <bkvines at wattslawfirm.com> wrote:
back. It has a "Save Document Position" preference.

Bryan, would trashing your Casper Admin preferences have been an option for
you (in case this happens again)? Obviously not a good idea when working off
an external drive without access to the JSS.

bill
-- William M. Smith, Technical Analyst
Digital Information Systems Support
Merrill Communications, LLC
(651) 632-1492