Casper clients random stop checking in after Casper update

skeb1ns
Contributor

Hi,

This is happend to me twice now: I have a good working JSS where every client checks in, everything is good etc.

But some clients randomly stop checking in after I've upgraded our JSS to a new version. Happend to me at upgrading from 9.65 to 9.82 and now from 9.82 to 9.91. I'm managing 220 clients at the moment and 20 or so stopped communicating after those patches.

Since I'm unable to change the reported IP address so that can try to fix things using Casper Remote, I end up asking people to please swing by our IT Helpdesk so that my colleagues manually have to re install the client using a QuickAdd package.

Any ideas? I'm aware that the jamf binary upgrades itself after the first check in after a JSS patch and the only thing that I can think of is that this upgrades fails for some reason and breaks the whole binary.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We've had this a few times. Does the computer record in the JSS inventory change to "unmanaged"?

In our case we used a modified version of the CasperCheck script from Rich Trouton.

skeb1ns
Contributor

The devices still report as managed but the last check-in was on the same day that I upgraded our JSS. I will take a look at the script from Rich.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Ah ok, a little different to the issue we had.

CasperCheck would probably be the best option in that case. It's basically a QuickAdd.pkg on a http server accessible by the clients, and a script and launchdaemon held locally on the client to check JSS connectivity.

It works well.