Casper Imaging fails to run the postinstall.sh

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Symptoms:
After Casper Imaging reboots the first time, the iCloud sign-in screen appears and never goes away. You can skip through it and get to the desktop.
The computer is logged in as the Adobe temp account. The computer becomes enrolled in the JSS.
None of the "Install on boot drive after imaging" packages are installed nor do any of the "At reboot" scripts run.
Rebooting the computer does not startup the pending /Library/Application Support/JAMF/FirstRun/PostInstall/postinstall.sh to run. It's remains in the expected location. (Normally this is deleted once the script completes.)
The network connection to the JSS is good.

I discovered when this takes place, the com.jamfsoftware.firstrun.postinstall.plist file, located in /Library/LaunchDaemons is corrupt. It's a bunch of gibberish. Neither xml, text, or a good binary.

Work around:
Erase the drive and run Casper Imaging again. I haven't been able to determine if it's a certain subnet, cable, or network switch that is causing the corrupt file.

I suspect that I could logout from the Adobe Temp account, login in as the managed account and run the postinstall.sh script from terminal. But that's hard to explain to our configuration techs.

Our JSS is version 9.63 and Casper Imaging is at 9.62, netboot image is 10.10.2 from a Mac with 10.10.2. I wasn't able to find a match in JAMF Nation for corrupt com.jamfsoftware.firstrun.postinstall.plist I am not sure if this is a known issue.

Have others experience this issue?

5 REPLIES 5

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I've had the symptoms before but not gone as far to determine locate a corrupt launchd plist. In our case it has often been poor connectivity with either the JSS or the distribution point. Is it intermittent in your case?

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Yes, it is intermittent. I've personally seen it and confirmed the corrupt file on two different model laptops, different days, and different network switches. I have heard from our config team that it happens a few times, but is still considered a rare occurrence.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Have you tried running Imaging 9.65 with JSS 9.63? I know there are serious issues with CI 9.64 and 9.63 - you indicated you were using 9.62, which may be OK, but I'm doing 9.65 w/JSS 9.63 in a few environments and everything is working pretty well.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

On 3/8/2015, I updated the JSS to version 9.65. Today, I'll be updating the Netboot images to include Casper Imaging 9.65 and note any improvements.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Since going to 9.65 and updating the netboot images, the number of corrupted plist which caused a failure to finishing the imaging process has gone way down. Tech's haven't informed me of it happening and I wasn't able to recreate on a device that had failed for me regularly with enough attempts.