Casper not 10.9 compatible yet

carmelolopez
Contributor

Just updated my mac with latest Beta release of 10.9 and Casper Admin not working and so on
So please do not update yet ;-)

20 REPLIES 20

MikeF
Contributor II

I also updated and you are correct Casper admin and Casper Imaging give an error. Need OS 10.4 or better. I am guessing that they will have this fixed soon. Every thing else seems to work.

c_lawrence
New Contributor

Same here.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

what version of casper?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

This is not in the least surprising. The JAMF dev team was at WWDC too after all, so I'm sure they'll come back and start working with the dev release for compatibility.
I just hope OS X Mavericks (gonna take awhile to get used to that name) won't cause a delay in the release of Casper Suite version 9.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

I refuse to use the cutsy names anymore, its 10.9 AFAIAC

c_lawrence
New Contributor

@jwojda - I was trying it with 8.71 and it's throwing that error about requiring 10.4 or higher. I also agree that this isn't surprising.

mm2270

@nessts, I'm inclined to just refer to it as 10.9 as well. 'Mavericks' is just too weird and is going to be difficult to use around the office in an IT environment. 10.9 it is for now.

mm2270

I also noted some brief info on OS X Server (10.9) on Apple's 10.9 page. These lines in particular sound a bit interesting. Too early to tell if these will be very dumbed down or powerful features to help with app distribution or not though-

Caching Server 2 speeds up the download and delivery of software through the App Store, Mac App Store, and iTunes Store, and it can now cache on your server for faster downloading to iOS 7 devices. And Profile Manager has an array of new management features for iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks that simplify software distribution of apps and books.

Possibly a step in the direction of Apple improving the App Store distribution model? Could things like site license agreements for app distribution (in lieu of Apple IDs) be the next step? I have a glimmer of hope!

carmelolopez
Contributor

Indeed , the Jamf people will fix this on the fly.
I will ask them personally tomorrow.

And for me is also 10.9

I haven't try beta 9 yet with 10.9

carmelolopez
Contributor

So Casper 9 Beta also don't work with 10.9 as expected.

ernstcs
Contributor III

You all realize that JAMF makes official releases of the Casper Suite that support the current OS X operating system within 5 days (typically) of the OS's official release. Granted, I think you all knew it wouldn't work and just wanted to let others know...

Mavericks...face palm

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

I'm having some luck with Recon, Self Service, and Casper Remote. I'm able to add and recon machines. My current Profiles work as well

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

Most of my policies seem to be ok, Recon working, Remote working, Self Service is good, mac is showing up as a 10.9 machine.

What are most of you seeing as broken?

Most importantly, Restricting 10.9 is working.. found that out literally 3 minutes after putting it in place.

carmelolopez
Contributor

Basically Casper Admin, Remote and Imaging not working
All the rest ok

MarkMelaccio
Contributor II
Contributor II

I'm running JSS 8.6.3- A few versions behind as we are in the middle of a big Adobe rollout and trying to avoid some of the known issues with 8.6.4 and above with AAMEE packages.

remote is working here, both to a 10.9 Mac, and from a 10.9 mac. Launches fine and seems to be ok. Can screen share, and seem to be able to do everything like normal.

Composer, Recon, Self Service, and policies are all working.

I'm only seeing Imaging and Admin not working at this time.

Not too shabby for a Day 1 experience.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Mind your NDAs, folks :)

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

@ jarednichols... Always a good point! Though, I'm not sure anything here has broken Apple's NDA... yet ;-) (Yes, I know that's why you said it!)
In any event, I'm sure the JAMF folks are typing frantically in the background while I wonder about apple's new naming convention.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

No, I don't think so either, but we're also taking about NDAs from two companies...

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

https://devforums.apple.com/thread/188676

--
https://donmontalvo.com

ernstcs
Contributor III

Wondering if anyone wants to confirm something for me, but I just did the App Store update to Mavericks (good boy, sit, stay...) and my hidden management account wasn't whacked. Now...am I imagining things here, or did they actually build in some logic to say "Hey, this isn't one of the normal hidden system accounts, I should leave it alone."

Didn't think it was worth its own thread since this one for 10.9 was already started. Although, if you do a search for just 10.9 this is not a top hit or anything. If you type Mavericks it's the only hit. Mosey...fix it. =D