Catalina System Preferences - Disable Apple ID Preference

Person
New Contributor III

Hello,

Maybe I am not doing the right search but I am looking to Disable "Sign in to your Apple ID" for Catalina on a test computer. I added to the restriction list in the configuration profile but I can still access it. Has anyone else run into this?

Is this the correct restriction to disable that area, Apple ID Preference Pane com.apple.preferences.AppleIDPrefPane? Do I need to add this to another restriction to fully disable it?

0d78462ace2c44c9a1717aabceda27ea

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Person
New Contributor III

It looks like this may have been an issue with the Catalina beta. I just updated the test computer and reenabled the policy with restriction to disable the Apple ID Preference Pane and it will not open the Sign In for iCloud.

As @cdev mentions it does not grey it out but does prevent it from opening.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

sbirdsley
Contributor

I too was wondering if anyone had anything for this at this time or if this is something that will be "manageable" at a later time after/when Catalina is released

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

In Jamf Pro 10.15 this is available to enable/disable under Configuration Profiles -> Restrictions -> Preferences.
You can also create a custom plist ,guess this will do it under com.apple.systempreferences

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>DisabledPreferencePanes</key>
    <array>
        <string>com.apple.preferences.AppleIDPrefPane</string>
    </array>
</dict>
</plist>

Person
New Contributor III

Hello @txhaflaire

Yes I enabled that in jamf pro 10.15 but it was still visible and accessible. I tried it as a user level and system level configuration profile. I haven't tried it as a custom plist.

PeterG
Contributor II

I am experiencing this also– I have it restricted but it is still accessible.
I will note that once in the pref pane, some of the items that I have restricted are 'greyed out' and not accessible to the user. But the 'Photos' synching is alive and well.

Also I am experiencing the issue Lehrer on the 'Sharing Services' Tab if I deselect some of the services and press Save, they become enabled again. For security purposes we want to disable most of these. JAMF has suggested a workaround of Checking the "Automatically enable new sharing services" box. NO sorry. I am trying to tighten security not automatically enable anything.

cdev
Contributor III

I'm sure that if we were running the current Jamf Pro release, using the normal method would work. However, I have had to create the profile, sign-it, then upload it to our JSS to get the restriction to actually take effect. The behavior I see does not grey or hide the AppleID sign-in banner, but does prevent the "Sign In" button from actually doing anything (it's still clickable tho).

Person
New Contributor III

It looks like this may have been an issue with the Catalina beta. I just updated the test computer and reenabled the policy with restriction to disable the Apple ID Preference Pane and it will not open the Sign In for iCloud.

As @cdev mentions it does not grey it out but does prevent it from opening.

sugarmonkey
New Contributor

I'm testing it out this value myself, and despite it being added (and rebooting), I can still click on "Sign In" on the top right of System Preferences. What exactly is it supposed to block? Using macOS Catalina 10.15.0 19A583 (GM build)

G_M_
New Contributor III

Hello guys, I have the same issue with the new official release of macOS Catalina 10.15 and unfortunately I still have Jamf Pro 10.12.

Can someone give me a way to fix this?

Through Profile Creator 0.3.2 application I have the payload but it seems not to work as expected..

Any other way?

It is quite urgent..

G_M_
New Contributor III

I would like to share my action that was solving the thing at the end..

I just wrote a quick script that woudl write the string in com.apple.systempreferences

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences DisabledPreferencePanes -array 
"com.apple.preferences.AppleIDPrefPane" 

I also tried doing the same in the HiddenPreferencePanes tag, but it doesn't seems to work..

Final result is that you still see the Apple ID sign in pane, but the Sign In button does not work..

KrisMallory
New Contributor III

This is one of those changes that just ticks me off.

@G.M. Side note, you mentioned still being on 10.12 - Might want to move up to at least 10.31.1 as soon as you can due to the recent vulnerability news.

miqviq
New Contributor

Did dome initial testing:

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist DisabledPreferencePanes -array-add "com.apple.preferences.AppleIDPrefPane"

Apple ID tab still shows there but Sign In-button does not do anything.
So it works but it would be nicer to set it completely hidden.

miqviq
New Contributor

And here is a quickie to get all bundle ID's for all prefspanes in Catalina:

for aPane in /System/Library/PreferencePanes/* 
do
echo -n `basename "$aPane"`:; defaults read "$aPane/Contents/Info" CFBundleIdentifier
done

apizz
Valued Contributor

@G.M. I'm curious about how you were trying to deploy the profile that you built with ProfileCreator. If you weren't signing the profile outside of Jamf then when you were uploading directly into Jamf that would have overridden those settings.

ocla__09
Contributor

Within appleID prefs are people having issues with disabling the "Find My" feature? In previous testing it appears that since Catalina find my can't be disabled any more...