Catalina upgrade Issues

Matt_Ellis
Contributor II

I am working on moving my users from Mojave to Catalina, i have pre-seeded the installer on all my machines. I am using the jamf script from https://github.com/kc9wwh/macOSUpgrade. I have used this script with no issues for awhile.

But i now have a strange issue, the script kicks off everything looks good then on restart a install of some sort starts takes about 45 minutes. But after its done the machine comes back up with Mojave and not Catalina. No issues are seen in the JAMF Pro policy logs. I have no idea what is going on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Matt_Ellis
Contributor II

@carlo.anselmi Turns out it was an issue with my packaged installer, the installESD.dmg was passing the MD5 check but something esle in the .app was missing or corrupt.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@Matt.Ellis It happens exactly the same to me with recent Catalina, likely since 10.10.5 can't remember exactly
Especially if the OS upgrade has to be unattended (scheduled), well, the above script used to be ideal.
For now I am using a "File and Process" one-liner in a SelfService policy (with or without adding the dmg installer if it's already present - limited with a smart group), a solution which is not as nice but works fine here.
Since you already pre-seeded the "macOS Catalina.app" installer within the Applications folder, this should work

/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --agreetolicense --nointeraction && killall Self Service

Hope it helps (as always, please test!)

Matt_Ellis
Contributor II

@carlo.anselmi Turns out it was an issue with my packaged installer, the installESD.dmg was passing the MD5 check but something esle in the .app was missing or corrupt.

sbrennan
New Contributor III

@Matt.Ellis I had this exact same issue happen to me. Thanks for the solution.