Change "supervised and managed by JAMF Software"

camtech
New Contributor

On a Mac (macOS 11), System Preferences > Profiles now sports a message stating "This Mac is supervised and managed by JAMF Software."

Is it possible to change the "JAMF Software" portion to something else, eg: a business name?

e0495f375c6e4545ba6046677761e2cf

11 REPLIES 11

MLBZ521
Contributor III

Uh, mine shows my organization's name.

Really weird that yours shows Jamf Software. That should be coming from your Apple Business/School Manager instance as well, I'm almost positive.

m_entholzner
Contributor III
Contributor III

Depending on the OS you're using, this should be your Organization's name. There were some earlier versions of 10.13 or 10.14 that showed the "owner" of the MDM profile instead of the organisation name.

mschroder
Valued Contributor

On macOS 11 it definitely says '... by JAMF Software'. What I also find very confusing is that is says 'supervised', even for devices that are not supervised but user enrolled.

hunter_gardner
New Contributor II

I'm running macOS 11 and mine shows our org name... however this machine was enrolled prior to upgrading to Big Sur

camtech
New Contributor

Updated my original post with the OS version (macOS 11).

This particular device was enrolled before macOS 11, and in this case, is supervised.

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

@mschroder Any macOS 11 computer that has a UAMDM profile is considered to be supervised, that is probably why you are seeing it.

Looking at the responses, is this a case of devices enrolled via ABM and Automated Enrollment are showing the company name and User Enrolled devices are showing "Jamf Software"?

MLBZ521
Contributor III

What RBlount says sounds like an interesting and possible point.

My Mac was ADE enrolled prior to Big Sur, but is on macOS 11 now.

All that said. I've seen multiple Mobile Devices that were previously ADE enrolled/Supervised and have been unmanaged (via the Remove MDM Profile MDM Command) and released from ABM/ASM and still show the "This device is supervised and managed by <Organization>" message.

camtech
New Contributor

@RBlount's point was indeed interesting.

Did some testing and it does look like the org name is displayed if the computer is ADE enrolled. But if you unenroll and then enroll via the Jamf webpage (User-initiated enrollment), "JAMF Software" is displayed instead.

I also tested enrolling an ADE released Mac (via user-initiated enrollment) which also displayed "JAMF Software."

Which everyone knows is so wrong... jamf is lowercase now. ;)

So it's limited to user-initiated enrollment, but is there any way to change that?

MLBZ521
Contributor III

@camtech I highly doubt it. It likely has something to do with the MDM Profile and how it's configured, etc.

Likely something that Apple would need to change from their side. I bet it's a bug from the change in Big Sur where a UAMDM enrollment == Supervised. As previously UIE wasn't Supervised, so that bit of text was not present.

mschroder
Valued Contributor

Calling this now supervised is simply wrong and confusing. The device is not supervised, as settings that required what previously was called supervised can still not be applied (as far as I know), and the MDM profile can be removed by the user. So the new supervised is not the old supervised. I already hate that Apple is changing icons and icon positions all the time (macOS used to be about consistency, not about chaning and re-arranging things all the time!), if they now also start to change terms with every release we will soon have a real mess.

MLBZ521
Contributor III

Yeah... I wasn't completely happy that UAMDM = Supervised going forward. I mean, it does make our jobs a little easier since not every device we have is ADE enabled. My biggest problem with it is, now it gives our techs less reason to care about how they enroll the devices they manage. A ton still UIE enroll devices even though they could ADE enroll. They simply don't care.

Except for the MDM Profile removal part, the "items" (Config Profiles, MDM Commands, etc.) that require ADE Enrolled Supervision on older OS versions will now work on UAMDM Supervision on Big Sur.

That said, UAMDM Supervision on an ARM Based Mac isn't the same ADE Supervision. ADE Supervision is required for managing KEXTs apparently.

Enjoy Apple nonexistent consistency! (cry)