Changing wireless settings across a number of systems

Not applicable

We've got a test lab of systems that I'm trying to change the wireless settings on. We are changing from a problematic PEAP setup to a PSK environment. Systems are configured with Parental controls and Simple Finder. They are unable to change anything in the Control Panel shy of the screen saver. Building a package to be deployed by Casper grabs the system.keychain file which is bad news for all of our existing systems as pushing a package with this seems to put the target machine in a very difficult to remove loop of removing the keychain, and manually adding in the settings physically on the machine.

Anyone found a way to get around this? I'd basically need to push wireless settings across the command line with a script that uses that password with networksetup or find a way to push the item into the keychain from SSH.

Something like step 4: here has potential except for the fact that it must be run as the currently logged on user and our lab user cant access the Network settings.

http://homepage.mac.com/simx/technonova/C488455530/E20070821192628/index.html

Thanks in advance!
--
Cory Ranschau
Systems Administrator
Room and Board
W: 763.302.3606
cranschau at roomandboard.com

5 REPLIES 5

winkelhe
New Contributor

check out /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport......copy to /usr/sbin, use -A, have a beer.

--
Eric Winkelhake | Technology Services ? Mundocom | Re:Sources IT
35 West Wacker Drive, Suite 3000 | Chicago, IL 60601
Office: 312-220-1669 | Mobile: 312-519-5632
Email: Eric.Winkelhake at us-resources.com
Open a Service Desk Ticket | Navigating IT | Training Now

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

what version of OS X?

Thomas Larkin
TIS Department
KCKPS USD500
tlarki at kckps.org
cell: 913-449-7589
office: 913-627-0351

Not applicable

I have been able to bind using airport -A but rebooting the system reverts it back to not knowing the password. Did I miss a step? (This is currently on 10.4.8).

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

ARD has a built in network setup command you can script out and use. In
10.5 they (Apple) relocated the command into /usr/sbin I think...

Here is the full command path

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Support/networksetup

You can script using it, and I have one to modify proxy settings and it
works

Thomas Larkin
TIS Department
KCKPS USD500
tlarki at kckps.org
cell: 913-449-7589
office: 913-627-0351

winkelhe
New Contributor

don't think theres a switch to permanently add it, but whats wrong with hashing the password and making a launchd item or a casper policy for login??

--
Eric Winkelhake | Technology Services ? Mundocom | Re:Sources IT
35 West Wacker Drive, Suite 3000 | Chicago, IL 60601
Office: 312-220-1669 | Mobile: 312-519-5632
Email: Eric.Winkelhake at us-resources.com
Open a Service Desk Ticket | Navigating IT | Training Now

Cory Ranschau <CRanschau at RoomAndBoard.com> 04/11/08 12:09 PM

To
Eric Winkelhake <eric.winkelhake at us-resources.com>
cc
"casper at list.jamfsoftware.com" <casper at list.jamfsoftware.com>, "casper-bounces at list.jamfsoftware.com" <casper-bounces at list.jamfsoftware.com>
Subject
Re: [Casper] Changing wireless settings across a number of systems

I have been able to bind using airport -A but rebooting the system reverts it back to not knowing the password. Did I miss a step? (This is currently on 10.4.8).