Computers Restarting on idle after Jamf Enrollment

kurzsteve
New Contributor

We recently started rolling out JAMF at my company, as a replacement for MaaS360 and Munki. Currently, we're in the first phase, which is rolling out JAMF for MDM and maintaining Munki for package management while we finish setting up self-service and ironing out some of the problems we're having.

Currently several of the computers that are enrolled in JAMF are shutting down after half-hour idle time. I haven't been able to establish a pattern yet, and to the best of my knowledge, it's not affecting every computer.

I can fix it on the computers that are experiencing it by using the following commands

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences com.apple.autologout.AutoLogOutDelay -int 0
sudo defaults delete /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist com.apple.autologout.AutoLogOutDelay

but I was wondering if there's somewhere I should look that I'm not to make sure JAMF isn't setting a flag somewhere, or if there's a known conflict with JAMF and Munki where I should make the move off of Munki sooner rather than later.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

StoneMagnet
Contributor III

@kurzsteve The default settings for a Login Window payload added to a Configuration Profile in Jamf Pro is to log users out after 30 minutes of inactivity, so if you didn't turn that off it would explain the behavior you're seeing. Just part of the fun of Configuration Profiles.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

brian_mccarthy1
New Contributor II

I have seen this happen in our environment as well. It had something to do with a setting on "Login Window" Configuration Profile. We eventually removed the profile entirely and it stopped happening

kurzsteve
New Contributor

Do you know if this applies to a Login Windows profile generated by Configurator as well, or just within JAMF itself? I definitely have a login window profile so that might be the cause.

StoneMagnet
Contributor III

@kurzsteve The default settings for a Login Window payload added to a Configuration Profile in Jamf Pro is to log users out after 30 minutes of inactivity, so if you didn't turn that off it would explain the behavior you're seeing. Just part of the fun of Configuration Profiles.

kurzsteve
New Contributor

@StoneMagnet I actually found that right before I got the notification of your post and made the change. Thanks to you and @brian_mccarthy for pointing me in the right direction

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

Hi, @kurzsteve & @StoneMagnet

This is not supposed to be the default; by default, that option should be unchecked.

We had this filed under PI-001308, which was resolved in 9.81, but I just retested it in 9.98 and found that the behavior is back again, so I've reopened it under PI-003978.

The workaround is what @StoneMagnet suggested: Go back into the configuration profile's Login Window payload and uncheck the "Log out users after:" option, save the profile, and redeploy it to the scoped machines and the issue should stop.

Additionally, please get in touch with Support to have a case created or create a case using the My Support section of Jamf Nation requesting to have the case attached to PI-003978 if you have not done so already.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
Jamf Support