Correct Process to Remove iPad from Apple School Manager and JAMF Pro

OrionFury79
New Contributor

I have scoured the forums and cannot find an exact process to removing an iPad that will no longer be used from Apple School Manager and JAMF Pro.  It appears that the release action in Apple School Manager and removal from JAMF Pro (via deleting at management tab after it's wiped) is inconsistent and doesn't seem to always work and the device does not release the used license in JAMF Pro.  Thank you, anyone, for your assistance.

4 REPLIES 4

awoodbury
Contributor
Contributor

Log into ASM > Devices > Search for the Serial Number of the Device > Release Device.

Thank you.  After releasing in ASM, wiping the device in JAMF should complete the process?  The only other issue I have seen is that when I get an iPad back from a staff member and they have manually erased the iPad, I have to restore/erase it again in iTunes to get the MDM profile to be removed from the device, and sometimes that doesn't work the first time.

Can you even wipe the device after removing it from ASM?  Isn't ASM the service giving JAMF permission to do anything to the iPad?

Sorry for the lateness here, but I'm in the same boat trying to wipe and remove iPads.  We're looking to do a trade-in so the iPads will likely be reused/resold elsewhere - hence needing to clear them.

I know I have to get them out of JAMF. I know I need to get them out of ASM. and I know I need them wiped/cleared. But I don't know how/in what order to do those things.

awoodbury
Contributor
Contributor

We have a Restriction on all devices in place that blocks Erase All Content and Settings, so only we can erase them.