Creating new APNs?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Hi everyone. Has anyone gone thru the steps of creating a new APNs certificate for Jamf Pro now with the "new" Jamf Nation and the Jamf Account sites? I'm having some trouble understanding how this is done now. It used to be that you would click the link inside Jamf Pro and it brought you to the site to sign the CSR automatically or you could download a CSR and then use Jamf Nation to sign it. This no longer seems to work. The embedded URL in Jamf Pro is no longer valid from what I can tell, which kind of makes sense, but I'm not able to figure out what the new URL should be. It's been a while since I needed to create a new one, so this isn't a process I do everyday, so I may be missing something obvious.

Anyhow, what's the process to do this now? Anyone know?

8 REPLIES 8

Samstar777
Contributor II

Hello mm2270,

I am not if you are trying to renew an APNs certificate or create a new one but here are the steps on how can you renew the APNs Certificate with best of my knowledge:

1. Log in to Jamf Now.
  2. Click APNs. If renewing an expired certificate, click Renew.
  3. Click Download Certificate Signing Request. This .plist file type is a unique file that you'll need to provide to Apple in the following step in order to generate your certificate.
  4. Click Next.
  5. Click Open the Apple Push Certificate portal.
  6. A new window will open. Log in using your Apple ID and password. These must match the Apple ID and password you originally used when generating the APNs certificate.
  7. Click Create a Certificate.
  8. Click Choose File and upload the .plist from step three above.
  9. Click Download to get your APNs certificate and navigate back to Jamf Now to complete setup.
  10. Click Next.
  11. Upload the new APNs certificate.
  12. Click Next.

You may also refer direct link from Jamf here

Here is the link for a video tutorial on step to step guide

I hope this will help

- Samstar777 🙂

Henry589
New Contributor

Any solution for this issue i have also same issue but can't find solution please reply if have any suggestion.

mm2270

Thanks @Samstar777 but I'm not trying to renew an existing push cert. I'm trying to create a new one. We just spun up a new dev instance to replace a temporary one, and I need to create a brand new push certificate for this instance. With the change in Jamf Nation, I'm not sure how this is supposed to be done now, since it used to be that you would get directed to a page on the old Jamf Nation where the generated CSR could be signed for use in Apple's push certificate portal. That step doesn't seem to be working anymore, and the old URL for it is no longer valid. 😞

Also, that documentation you referenced is for Jamf Now, not Jamf Pro. The steps are similar but may not be exactly the same.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@mm2270 

I just deleted our APNS from dev to test. The process is the same as it was prior, at least the way I've been doing it. I choose "Download signed CSR from Jamf Nation" and on the next screen I login with my JN credentials. The next page directs me to download the signed CSR to upload to Apple:

Push_Certificate_Assistant__.png

Is that not happening for you?

mm2270

Hi @stevewood thanks for the reply.

So I think I'm all sorted on this. For us, for some reason using the wizard in Jamf Pro to sign into Jamf Nation and pull down the signed CSR isn't working. I get to the login fields, but after entering my credentials it just times out. This could be an issue with our network, through I can obviously log in here to community and to the account page just fine from the same machine and on the same network connection, so I dunno.

Anyway, the last couple of days when trying the manual step of downloading the unsigned CSR and moving to the next step to sign it wasn't working for me. For some odd reason it started working today. I have no explanation, but it's all good now. I'm able to use that to create the APNs and then upload that back into Jamf Pro.

Henry589
New Contributor

ss

Henry589
New Contributor

A debt of gratitude is in order for the update and speedy answer. Chanced upon your string. A debt of gratitude is in order for making it.

OneVanilla

blacksmith15590
New Contributor

I am not if you are trying to renew an APNs certificate or create a new one but here are the steps on how can you renew the APNs Certificate with best of my know