Default printer per config

Not applicable

Hey all-

I have some labs that share printers. Ås of now I have the four printers in both labs individual configs. The problem is that I want the printers that are physically in each lab to be default for each of those labs, i.e. I want 190print01 to be the default in the 190 lab, and 172print01 to be the default in the 172 lab while still installing the others.

I have noticed that I can set the printer to be default in the info tab, but what takes precedence. I need to be able to tell the printer to be default in one config and not in another. Perhaps this should be more of a feature request to have an info tab for the configs, not the printers, saying which one is the default. Aside from this lab, I have many instances with faculty where I have printers that should be default in one place and not another.

Any Ideas?

Ryan Harter
UW - Stevens Point
Workstation Developer
Ryan.Harter at uwsp.edu

2 REPLIES 2

winkelhe
New Contributor

lpoptions -d

--
Eric Winkelhake | Technology Services ? Mundocom | Re:Sources IT
35 West Wacker Drive, Suite 3000 | Chicago, IL 60601
Office: 312-220-1669 | Mobile: 312-519-5632
Email: Eric.Winkelhake at us-resources.com
Open a Service Desk Ticket | Navigating IT | Training Now

ernstcs
Contributor III

You can also create a policy that installs the printers for a particular lab at login and then use the lpoptions to set the default with the advanced tab (that may not be necessary and an old version of JSS legacy thing, was going to verify that tomorrow actually). That way you are creating a policy for each location to allow you the flexibility you need.

Craig E