Dell KACE1000

mintzd01
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am currently doing so dev work for a client of mine who has Casper for Mac and KACE for PC's.

They would like to leverage the software update function from KACE to do the mac software updates.

Having explained that their 10.8 Casper server can do the sus they still want the KACE box to do the job.

Has anyone found a way to mass deploy the KACE agent to a mac and supply the server location in one go?

I have tried many ways but it cant seem to work.

Any help would be great,

Dan

6 REPLIES 6

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

My shop uses a Kace KBox and I've got a post on how to do this:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2012/03/05/building-an-automated-kbox-1000-agent-installer/

I've got additional posts on Kace available via the following link:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/?s=Kace+KBox

mintzd01
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Thanks,

One question.

Do you deploy the pkg to a location on the mac then use Iceberg to call the package?

When I have used Iceberg it makes a 4kb .pkg which fails. I am wondering if that is because the pkg is just an instruction to call the package from say the shared folder on the mac.

Thanks

Dan

rtrouton

Dan,

No, in this case the Kace AMPAgent installer is actually stored inside the Iceberg-created package. Here's an explanation of the method I'm using:

http://derflounder.wordpress.com/2011/06/24/re-packaging-metapackages-with-iceberg/

mintzd01
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

HI

am having real problems getting this to run using your method.

This is the script I am using. Can you see any faults with it

#!/bin/sh

# Create the /Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data on the boot drive
mkdir -p "/Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data"

# Add the server address of the KBox 1000 to /Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data/amp.conf
echo "host=LDCEUS01.brunswick.pri" >; "/Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data/amp.conf"

# Wait 15 seconds
sleep 15

# Install the KBox agent
/usr/sbin/installer -dumplog -verbose -pkg "$1/Contents/Resources/AMPAgent.pkg" -target /

rtrouton

Dan,

Based on what you've posted, the script looks OK:

#!/bin/sh

# Create the /Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data on the boot drive
mkdir -p "/Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data"

# Add the server address of the KBox 1000 to /Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data/amp.conf
echo "host=LDCEUS01.brunswick.pri" >; "/Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data/amp.conf"

# Wait 15 seconds
sleep 15

# Install the KBox agent
/usr/sbin/installer -dumplog -verbose -pkg "$1/Contents/Resources/AMPAgent.pkg" -target /

What behavior are you seeing? Also, would you please post the installer log?

salkam
New Contributor

I can't seem to deploy Kace Agent using the guide on this page. Can someone please help me out? Iceberg doesn't work with Catalina OS anymore. I have uploaded the AMPAgent.pkg (KACE Agent) to Jamf Pro site and created a script on Jamf Pro using the script above.

#!/bin/sh

# Create the /Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data on the boot drive mkdir -p "/Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data"

# Add the server address of the KBox 1000 to /Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data/amp.conf echo "host=ourserveraddress" > "/Library/Application Support/Dell/KACE/data/amp.conf"

# Wait 15 seconds
sleep 15

# Install the KBox agent

Every time I run the script it failes and this is the error message:
Script result: installer: Error - the package path specified was invalid: '//Contents/Resources/AMPAgent.pkg'.
Error running script: return code was 1.