Deployed printer PPDs have reverted to 6-byte file "stored"

alan_trewartha
New Contributor III

Very curious behaviour today with a couple of printers. (We're on JSS 9.61)

We set them up as normal (added via System Preferences on a standard client) added to the JSS, deployed OK to other users, used OK by other users.

Then the next day when a policy wiped and re-installed the printers, they stopped being usable by Creative Suite, and I noticed the icon changed.

I dug into the installed ppds at /etc/cups/ppd/{PRINTER ID}.ppd and found that their original PPD had been wiped out and replaced with the word "stored"

This looks like it's coming straight from the JSS.

I'm posting on the off-chance that anyone else has seen this, or knows this is a reported bug.

I'm rebuilding the printers (and policies), but wow, much odd.

3 REPLIES 3

alan_trewartha
New Contributor III

dug in a bit more and
SELECT * FROM jamfsoftware.printers;

shows the 'contents' field is a BLOB and the hex editor shows the 6 chars 'stored', whereas other printers with the same PPD have a much larger BLOB.

gonna try a straight copy across in SQL to fix this (rather than delete printers and end up rebuilding policies)

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I haven't seen this myself but I would flag it up to JAMF support anyway incase it goes unnoticed.

Did you mean to have the policy run again? I normally set them to "once per computer" if I'm adding a printer?

alan_trewartha
New Contributor III

(The Workbench copy of the BLOB did the trick)

I will mention it to JAMF. We use policies tha allows localised printers to be setup if the hardware is relocated to a different building/segment, so it's an 'ongoing' on startup sort of thing