Deploying Thycotic Privilege Manager 10.8.19

dan-snelson
Valued Contributor II

Vendor-provided Overview

Thycotic Privilege Manager is an endpoint least privilege and application control solution for Windows and Macs, capable of supporting enterprises and fast-growing organizations at scale. The two major components are Local Security and Application Control. Using Privilege Manager, administrators can automatically discover local administrator privileges and enforce the principle of least privilege through policy-driven actions. Those policy-driven actions include: - blocking, elevating, monitoring, allowing - application quarantine, sandbox, and isolation, - application privilege elevation, and - endpoint monitoring Continue reading … See also Privilege Manager 10.8 Customer Demo

macOS Agent Installation

Agent installation is well documented and straight forward, however "it will take 15-30 minutes for newly installed agents to register in Privilege Manager." (As of this writing, the vendor's link to Terminal Commands to speed up the process appears to be broken.)

I found the new MacOS Agent Utility Preference Pane provided users too much information, so I disable it as part of the Jamf Pro policy to install / upgrade via Files and Processes > Execute Command (even though the vendor's screenshot features our very own @grizzly660fan).

/bin/mkdir -pv /Library/PreferencePanesDisabled ; /bin/mv -v /Library/PreferencePanes/ACSAgent.prefPane /Library/PreferencePanesDisabled/ACSAgent.prefPane

Also, the suggested How to Recover an Unresponsive macOS Endpoint procedure doesn't lend itself to automation; we're using Thycotic Privilege Manager Agent Kickstart.sh instead.

Configuration Profiles

Approved Kernel Extensions

• Approved Team ID
    • Display Name: Thycotic Software
    • Team ID: UJDHBB2D6Q

Privacy Preferences Policy Control

• App Access
    • Identifier: com.thycotic.privilegemanagergui
    • Code Requirement: anchor apple generic and identifier "com.thycotic.privilegemanagergui" and (certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.9] / exists / or certificate 1[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.2.6] / exists / and certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.13] / exists / and certificate leaf[subject.OU] = UJDHBB2D6Q)
    • App or Service
      • Accessibility: Allow
      • AppleEvents: Allow
        • Receiver Identifier: com.apple.systemevents
        • Receiver Code Requirement: identifier "com.apple.systemevents" and anchor apple
      • SystemPolicyAllFiles: Allow

Jamf Pro Scripts & Extension Attributes

Queries the macOS Thycotic Privilege Manager Agent for various settings, saves the results to the user's Desktop as an HTML file, which is then opened in Safari.

If the testAgentConnection function results in a failure, the kickstartAgent function executes settmsserver -serverUri ${thycoticURL} -installCode ${agentInstallCode} in an attempt to resolve the connection failure.

Scripts

Thycotic Privilege Manager macOS Agent Information

• While troubleshooting new installations of the macOS Thycotic Privilege Manager agent, I found myself frequently having to leverage agentUtil.sh as root to see exactly which policies had been applied before realizing I had neglected to add the new test machine to my testing Resource group.
  • The HTML file includes hyperlinks to the policies in the Thycotic Privilege Manager console.

Thycotic Privilege Manager macOS Agent Diagnostics

• More robust version of Thycotic Privilege Manager macOS Agent Information
  • Leverages settmsserver -serverUri ${thycoticURL} -installCode ${agentInstallCode} to kickstart the agent
  • The HTML file includes hyperlinks to the policies in the Thycotic Privilege Manager console.

Thycotic Privilege Manager Agent Kickstart

• Simplified version of Thycotic Privilege Manager macOS Agent Diagnostics
  • No HTML output
  • Used as a remediation for Thycotic Health Check Extension Attribute

Extension Attributes

Thycotic Privilege Manager Machine ID

• Returns the Thycotic Privilege Manager Machine ID GUID

Thycotic Privilege Manager Health Check

• Validates access to ${thycoticURL}PrivilegeManager/#
  • Validates access to ${thycoticURL}Agent/AgentRegistration4.svc
  • Attempts to updateclientitems

Please see GitHub for customization instructions.

Thycotic Privilege Manager Agent Kickstart Jamf Pro Policy

1. Add the Thycotic Privilege Manager Agent Kickstart script
  2. Add the Thycotic Privilege Manager Health Check Extension Attribute
  3. Create the Thycotic Health Check Failure Smart Group:
    • Criteria: Thycotic Health Check
    • Operator: like
    • Value: FAIL
  4. Create the Thycotic Privilege Manager Agent Kickstart policy
    • General
      • Display Name: Thycotic Privilege Manager Agent Kickstart
      • Trigger: Recurring Check-in
      • Execution Frequency: Ongoing
    • Scripts
      • Thycotic Management Agent Kickstart
        • Number of Kickstart Checks
        • Thycotic Agent Install Code
    • Scope
      • Thycotic Health Check Failure

Additional Reading

6 REPLIES 6

rseeley
New Contributor III

Thank you for posting this, saved me some time figuring out the PPPC and AEK. One note:

The PPPC was failing for me, I changed the Code Requirement portion to this to get it to work:

identifier "com.thycotic.privilegemanagergui" and anchor apple generic and (certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.9] /* exists */ or certificate 1[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.2.6] /* exists */ and certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.13] /* exists */ and certificate leaf[subject.OU] = UJDHBB2D6Q)

trull_sengar
New Contributor III

Hi There,

bumping this great thread (thank you for creating it!), as I'm trying to configure PPPC FDA for Privilege Manager Security as explained here: https://docs.delinea.com/online-help/privilege-manager/agents/macos/mdm-profiles.htm

But it doesn't work.

What they recommend to do is to enter the following code requirement in the config profile:

anchor apple generic and identifier "com.thycotic.acsd" and (certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.9] /* exists */ or certificate 1[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.2.6] /* exists */ and certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.13] /* exists */ and certificate leaf[subject.OU] = UJDHBB2D6Q)

As you see the identifier (com.thycotic.acsd) differs from the one listed in this JN article.
When I need to run any sudo command, it will eventually time out waiting for Privilege Manager Security to get the FDA granted:

trull_sengar_0-1705397120528.png

I tried also with the code listed in this page but no luck.
When checking the team ID of the app located at /Applications/Privilege Manager.app, I get the one listed in this JN article:

trull_sengar_1-1705397218736.png

None anyway will work.

I can't seem to find the "Privilege Manager Security" that they mention in their official documentation.

Do you happen to know anything about this?

Thank you.

Happy New Year, @trull_sengar!

You may wish to reach out to Delinea technical support.

trull_sengar
New Contributor III

Hello @dan-snelson 

Happy new year to you too!

I tried and got stuck on different bureaucracies, reason why I tried to ask here as well :-)

I'll try again though.

Thank you

afleming
New Contributor

Hi @trull_sengar I am also working on Delinea Privilege Manager and having the same issue.  Did you ever get this resolved?

trull_sengar
New Contributor III

Hi @afleming ,

I had still the issue with the agent version 11.4.1.

I now downloaded the latest version (12.0.0 from here), and confirm that it works perfectly.
I was able to test without any issues policies such as: 

• Require justification and approval when running a sudo command (see below - waiting for approval)
  • trull_sengar_0-1713440158374.png

• And after approval
  • trull_sengar_2-1713440290997.png

I have no longer experienced the issue I described in my initial post, after I installed the latest version of the agent.

Let me know if this works for you too.