Disable Incognito Mode on iPads

j_carroll
New Contributor III

Is there any way to disable Incognito Mode in Chrome on iPads?

I really don't see the purpose of Chrome on iPads, if I'm being honest. Safari seems like a much better option.

I recently had to disable Private Browsing in Safari on our iPads. I wish there was a better option to do this other than the built-in web filter as we've been running into sites with issues, but it works.

Just asking to see if I can quiet the cries from people that lost their Chrome.

7 REPLIES 7

jgarland
New Contributor III

Same boat. I have recently disabled Private Browsing in Safari on the iPad, but wondering if there was a way to inject an app configuration to delete/disable incognito mode.

jmdaul
New Contributor II

@jgarland Were you able to disable Private Browsing in Safari on the iPad using Jamf Pro? If so how?

wdpickle
Contributor

I just found this on another thread. Set up a Configuration Profile -> Turn on Content Filter done. Test first please

goebelamy
New Contributor II

I don't see an "on" button under content filtering.

Bia
New Contributor III

Have the same question about incognito for Chrome. Got private browsing disabled using the recommendation above which was great, thank you! Not having any luck disabling incognito for Chrome though. A school I am working with needs both. 

Morejava
New Contributor

For JAMF School..

1. In Jamf School, navigate to Apps > Inventory in the sidebar.
  2. Click the app you want to create the managed configuration for.
  3. In the Options section, click Show Advanced Options, and then select the Apply Managed Configuration checkbox.
  4. Enter a name for the managed configuration. I used Disable Ingonito
  5. In the Managed Configuration section, enter the configuration in the new XML field.
  6. Add the following...
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>IncognitoModeAvailability</key>
   <integer>1</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

</dict>

igrathen
New Contributor III

Hey there!

I have added the above XML into our Google Chrome (VPP purchases) for iPadOS however my test iPads are still allowed to see and access Incognito tabs in Chrome...

Has Google updated their app to no longer be affected by the XML in question?

We are pushing Chrome 109 with this app I believe.

igrathen_0-1674229026841.png