Disabling iCloud in iOS

josholland
New Contributor

Hello,

In our iOS deployment we are currently trying to figure out how to disable the ability of users to sign into iCloud on managed devices. I see lots options for specific iCloud functionality in configuration profiles, but nothing that would stop it dead. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of deployment?

IOS version 8.1.3, JSS version 9.62

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We've done quite a few iOS deployments, shared devices and 1-to-1. The main theme is that there is little you can do to work around whats available in the config profiles. OS X is infinitely customisable and controllable but for iOS, you've only got what's in the restrictions profile unfortunately.

As you mentioned, there are quite a few iCloud restrictions available like in-app purchases, data backups etc but none of them can stop the user actually logging in.

When it comes to cart based shared devices we normally use Apple configurator on an 11-inch MBA. If you set them to erase regularly and block all available iCloud options with a profile they will soon get bored of signing in!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

nessts
Valued Contributor II

Ever wonder what it would be like if your employer would give you a new car as a work perk, and then be told, we have disabled the air conditioning, the seat-belts and the power windows.
What is the point in giving the users iOS devices if you disable 50% of what their functionality? give em a plain old non-smart phone, it might cost you $5 less per month and save you these headaches :)

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

I'm not good at analogies so I won't even go there, but I will say this: iCloud is not 50% of the functionality of the iPhone/iPad. iCloud ID =/= iTunes & App Store ID. iOS is quite functional without iCloud.

josholland
New Contributor

Hi Nessts,

While I understand what you are saying, I too would argue that iCloud does not constitute that major a feature in iOS, especially in our environment.

We are a shared, cart based education deployment, where iCloud can be a hindrance for multiple users using the same device.

Thank you.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

We've done quite a few iOS deployments, shared devices and 1-to-1. The main theme is that there is little you can do to work around whats available in the config profiles. OS X is infinitely customisable and controllable but for iOS, you've only got what's in the restrictions profile unfortunately.

As you mentioned, there are quite a few iCloud restrictions available like in-app purchases, data backups etc but none of them can stop the user actually logging in.

When it comes to cart based shared devices we normally use Apple configurator on an 11-inch MBA. If you set them to erase regularly and block all available iCloud options with a profile they will soon get bored of signing in!

josholland
New Contributor

Thank you David,

While we are not doing a Configurator deployment, your post lead me to an option in the iPad's restrictions that will do what we need.

Thank you again!

msnowdon
Contributor

@josholland ,

I would also like to prevent users from signing into iCloud especially on cart devices but cannot find a restriction to do that. We don't use Apple configurator either. Can I ask how you accomplished this?

Thanks

Mark

brandonusher
Contributor II

For us, we have a Restrictions payload that has "Allow modifying account settings (supervised only)" unchecked and they are unable to modify iCloud in Settings

msnowdon
Contributor

Thanks @brandonusher ,

I think that will do it.

mviolante
New Contributor

@brandonusher I'll give this a shot, thank you. I do have a question regarding repurposing iPads. If we have the iCloud credentials but not the 4 digit pin code, can we reset the iPad? Doesn't matter if its though apple configurator or the JSS configuration profiles. Just need to know how..

RGStech
New Contributor

+1 on having more control over iCloud syncing (or not).