Distribution Point

mahadeva83
New Contributor II

We are setting up a File distribution point , but does that machine have to be running a server version of macOS or can it be a regular workstation version? If we use regular workstation version OS is there any limitation.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mahadeva83 There used to be a 10 user limit for file shares with non-server versions of macOS, but that went away a long time ago. Since Server.app no longer offers file sharing as a feature you should be ok using machines running High Sierra as your DPs. Note that you used to be able to turn on Performance Mode in macOS Server to improve performance, but I don't think that's an option any more.

View solution in original post

jkuo
Contributor

I've used regular macOS for file share distribution points with no issues.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@mahadeva83 There used to be a 10 user limit for file shares with non-server versions of macOS, but that went away a long time ago. Since Server.app no longer offers file sharing as a feature you should be ok using machines running High Sierra as your DPs. Note that you used to be able to turn on Performance Mode in macOS Server to improve performance, but I don't think that's an option any more.

jkuo
Contributor

I've used regular macOS for file share distribution points with no issues.

kwsenger
Contributor

@jkuo , @sdagley Not to highjack a recent thread but are your distribution points serving packages over https or simple SMB connections? Having an issue moving away from Server.app. Would be interested in your JamfPro DP setup.

Karl.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@kwsenger SMB was my choice for DPs with my previous org's Jamf Pro installation (Win2012R2 primary server and various flavors of macOS Sever as secondary). My new org is using RHEL servers with SMB shares as DPs.

ricardtolosa
New Contributor III

Any SMB share should work. You can set it up in macOS, linux or windows, just use what works better for you :)

jkuo
Contributor

@kswenger SMB here, either Mac or Linux. The vast majority of ours are Linux.