Exporting a tab delimited inventory search

Not applicable

Hello * I am using the new Casper Suite 5.1 and attempting to export a tab delimited text file after doing an inventory search in the JSS. The original search is viewed as a Standard Web Page. After my results are displayed, I select "Tab" from the drop down View Results As: menu on the bottom. When I click the Go button, it opens a new window in Safari with the text instead of downloading the file. I'm sure there is an easy solution for this but I can't seem to find it. In the old Casper Suite 3.2, I used to be able to option-click on the link to download the text file. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,
Betty Prystal
Star Tribune

3 REPLIES 3

talkingmoose

Hi Betty!

Right-click the link and download the text file to your Desktop. I think
that works for any of the delimited file links.

--

bill

William M. Smith, Technical Analyst
Digital Information Systems Support
Merrill Communications, LLC
(651) 632-1492

ernstcs
Contributor III

Hi Betty,

I'm not really sure there is a way like it use to be. Both Safari (3.0) and FireFox just open the page instead of prompting as a download as a regular text file.

FireFox seems to handle this better when the text file is displayed in the browser. You can just select 'File -> Save Page As' and it at least understands that you want to save it as a text file. Safari wants to append some dumb extension.

I don't think there is another way around it.

Craig Ernst
Systems Management & Configuration
----------------------------------
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Learning & Technology Services
105 Garfield Ave
Eau Claire, WI 54701
Phone: (715) 836-3639
Fax: (715) 836-6001
----------------------------------
ernstcs at uwec.edu

Not applicable

All,

Option-click the link. That will download the tab'd file. Then open excel, go to Import, go through the wizard.

Alternatively, ctrl-click, and open with Numbers. Both options should give you a managable file.

-Jesse Wolcott
-Ease Technologies, Inc.