Extension Attibute to list clients connected to a specific SSID

Eigger
Contributor III

I saw an Extension Attribute "Current AirPort Network". How can I use this to list clients connected to a specific SSID. We have a School that we want to move all clients to the new SSID because the password was compromised (we are working on RADIUS authentication but not finished yet as we want to integrate it with the Lightspeed Rocket content filter) I pushed a script to connect them to the new SSID, and remove the old SSID from Preferred Network List. I scoped by Network Segment, once per computer. What I would like to do is, create a smartgroup with clients connected to the old ssid, and use it as my Scope. Run the policy ongoing until all of them is no longer with that smartgroup. I scheduled to deactivate the policy after 1 week and extend it if necessary.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Key1
New Contributor III

Need to output the result like this in the extension attrib

#!/bin/sh

value=$(/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -I | awk '/ SSID/ {print substr($0, index($0, $2))}')

echo "<result>$value</result>"

View solution in original post

chrisbju
New Contributor III

The script i use

#!/bin/sh

result=`/usr/sbin/networksetup -getairportnetwork en0 | awk '{ print $4 }'`

echo "<result>$result</result>"

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Eigger
Contributor III

I see this too when pulling the computer properties.
7e567b6e2f874334905143a198b1a8b9

iJake
Valued Contributor

This command will get you the current SSID. You can turn it into an extension attribute that you can then make a smart group from.

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -I | sed -n 13p | awk '{print $2}'

Eigger
Contributor III

@iJake Thank's Sir, I will try this right now.

Eigger
Contributor III

Maybe there is something I am doing wrong. When I run it manually, it prints out the SSID. But it doesn't work as an Extension Attribute.
df03407cfe0a47ed83e370ec22e1b058
b4d39940c8ea46f08c1211aeda5d14ac

Also, the command you posted seems to be not printing SSID with spaces. So I modified it with this.

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -I | awk '/ SSID/ {print substr($0, index($0, $2))}'

But still no go when I convert it to Extension Attribute.

Key1
New Contributor III

Need to output the result like this in the extension attrib

#!/bin/sh

value=$(/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -I | awk '/ SSID/ {print substr($0, index($0, $2))}')

echo "<result>$value</result>"

chrisbju
New Contributor III

The script i use

#!/bin/sh

result=`/usr/sbin/networksetup -getairportnetwork en0 | awk '{ print $4 }'`

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@iJake Your command doesn't account for SSIDs that have spaces in the name. I only get the first word from an SSID that is comprised of 3 words. The one I use is similar, but looks like this:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -I | sed 's/^ *//g' | awk -F': ' '/^SSID/{print $NF}'

That will output the full SSID name, including any spaces.

iJake
Valued Contributor

@mm2270 This is what I get for posting at the end of the work day. :) Thanks!

stevenjklein
Contributor II

While others have already solved this problem, I'm biased in favor of code that's easy to understand.

So I wrote it using cut, which cuts a string of text from a larger string. (SED and AWK are great tools, but they aren't easy to understand.)

As has already been discussed, this:
/usr/sbin/networksetup -getairportnetwork en0
returns the SSID name in this format:
Current Wi-Fi Network: Starbucks WiFi

If you count, you'll see that the SSID name begins at the 24th character. We can't know where it ends, but since an SSID can't be more than 32 characters, then the SSID will always end at or before the 56th character.

So we need to cut from character 32 to character 56, and this is how we do it: `/usr/sbin/networksetup -getairportnetwork en0` | cut -c 24-56

(The -c option means to cut characters; -b is used to cut bytes; see man cut for more options.)

Here it is as an extension attribute based on the above:

#!/bin/sh
# Jamf Extension attribute to return SSID

result=`/usr/sbin/networksetup -getairportnetwork en0 | cut -c 24-56`

exit 0

stevenjklein
Contributor II

My above extension attribute script works, but if en0 is anything other than Wi-Fi, the result is this awkward string: "rface. ng wireless information."

So I added an if/then to check for this condition, and report "No Wi-Fi" if no SSID exists.

New script follows.

#!/bin/sh
# Jamf Extension attribute to return SSID

#
# Check for SSID name
wifi_name=`/usr/sbin/networksetup -getairportnetwork en0`

#
# If an SSID name is found, save it in result. Otherwise, set result to "No Wi-Fi"
if [[ $wifi_name != "en0 is not a Wi-Fi interface"* ]];
    then
        result=$( echo "$wifi_name" | cut -c 24-56)
    else
        result="No Wi-Fi"
fi

#
# Result for Jamf

exit 0

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Nevermind

Just_Jack
Contributor

We pulled an EA from Jamf's webpage Created by Justin Sako on February 11, 2015. Has been working great until Big Sur came along. We're now getting the error, "The networksetup binary is not present on this machine."
Has anyone updated the script to add Big Sur support?