Greying out system Prefs pane for Nessus Agent

tegus232
Contributor

Hi all,

I am trying to find the plist that I can target to restrict Nessus Agent from being clickable in System Prefs. Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7

tegus232
Contributor

Also does anyone know the command to disable and enable or an existing config to target the disablement of it in the system prefs pane?

ljcacioppo
Contributor III

iMazing Profile Editor (https://imazing.com/profile-editor) has Nessus Built in as an option you can select under the restrictions payload to disable the preference pane

kiltedtenor
New Contributor II

*edit* of course I find it seconds after I ask the question. Thanks for the the tip!@ljcacioppoI don't see it in that app anymore. Is this still true? If so, where did you find it?

In the System Preferences Payload. When you click the dropdown for which to disable, its the second from the bottom

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 2.16.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 2.16.58 PM.png

  

shrisivakumaran
New Contributor III

@ljcacioppo @tegus232  trying to do same, but when I tested in Ventura its not working. Any suggestion on this?

Shri Sivakumaran

On Ventura, I am completely removing the prefpane after installing the Nessus Agent:

rm -rf "/Library/PreferencePanes/Nessus Agent Preferences.prefPane"

My only concern is that this prefpane might get reinstalled when tenable pushes an update to the clients. If that happens, I'm planning on adding an Extension Attribute to detect if the preference pane exists and to populate a smart group, and then run a script against that smart group to remove it. 

I forgot to mention that the reason that this no longer works on Ventura is because Apple deprecated this preference domain in macOS 13: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/devicemanagement/systempreferences

The only workaround I've found is deleting the preference pane. My org just started pushing the agent out, so I'm not sure if this has any long term negative impact. The Nessus Agent appears to continue to run fine without the preference pane, though.