imaging states startup disk is full

anickless
Contributor II

Ran into a new situation that is perplexing to me, re-imaging a 2009 iMac with a 10.12.6 base image and when it goes tries to install the OS after erasing the harddrive it states that there is not enough room, yet I have a 127 GB SSD installed?

Has anyone else ran into this before? or have suggestions?

7 REPLIES 7

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Was the drive encrypted with FileVault? Are you sure the drive was wiped properly? We destroy all existing partitions and reformat the drive from scratch to prep it since a simple erase won't do the trick.

anickless
Contributor II

Humm I will give that a try, it wasn't encrypted.

anickless
Contributor II

Just tried with a reformat and no go. This is an 2009 iMac it seems something is wrong with the SSD.

anickless
Contributor II

Having the same issue here but with 10.12.6 and macbook airs with 128GB SSD's

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@anickless you didn't mention how you were creating your base image, but IIRC there was a bug a few years back where for some reason, if the drive you were creating the image on was a larger then the installed drive, this message popped up. I know i had this issue when I made my image on a 1TB drive, then tried to image 500GB Drives. I ended up creating like a 50 GB partition, made my image and things worked. The thread is around here somewhere

anickless
Contributor II

@LSinNY I created the base image on a band new iMac on a 2.5 HDD, I will try your suggestion and partitioning down to a smaller image. But I followed the same process for this as I did for 10.11.X and 10.10.X and never had this issue.

tdilossi
Contributor

Any resolution to this issue? I have a few cart laptops that were showing as over 90% full. After clearing the older user accounts, emptying the trash and deleting the games the students downloaded into the shared folder(don't ask) we are still experiencing these drives saying the hard drive is 80% full. This is perplexing because we enrolled the laptops out of the box using DEP, so I don't feel that the image or external hard drive are an issue. Any advice will be appreciated!