Installing SEP 12.1 RU6 MP6 Managed Silently?

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

I got the newest version from our security team, and it came with a few components:

• Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer.app
  • Additional Resources
    • SEP.mpkg
    • sep.slf
    • serdef.dat
    • setAid.ini
    • setup.ini
    • SyLink.xml

If I launch "Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer", it provides a GUI. I'd like to have it install silently, which just running SEP.mpkg accomplishes, but the GUI install seems to actually configure the managed portion properly.

I've read you can install the SyLink.xml file on the machine after, but that requires manually intervention as far as I can tell, but there may be some command line options.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

If you open the Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer under the Tools menu there is a Create remote deployment package that you can deploy with Casper.

View solution in original post

MACHOUSTON
New Contributor III

for removing SEP try this https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=21364

to install just one SYlink :here is how you drop a SyLink.xml use this app: /Library/Application Support/Symantec/SMC/tools/SyLinkDrop.app
it will pop up to get the file and do it for you. otherwise its much simpler to do this:

To install SEP silently Take the DMG from Symantec and drop it (Copy the content ) into a new folder on your desktop. drop your SyLink.xml file in your additional resource folder.
launch the Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer under the Tools menu there is a Create remote deployment package that you can deploy with Casper. this will do a silent install but YOU MUST reboot.

2fe121b6e8964ef689ee2a40047942be

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

If you open the Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer under the Tools menu there is a Create remote deployment package that you can deploy with Casper.

TreviñoL
Contributor

if the systems already have SEP installed just push the SEP.mpkg and reboot the machines. Make sure the SEP Manager IP's / Hostname are still the same. Open the Sylink.xml file for details of the SEP Manager IP's / Hostnames.

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

I've asked our security admin if they can look at that.

if the systems already have SEP installed just push the SEP.mpkg and reboot the machines. Make sure the SEP Manager IP's / Hostname are still the same. Open the Sylink.xml file for details of the SEP Manager IP's / Hostnames.

The issue I've run in to in the past is, upgrades will sometimes get corrupted and the new versions shows as installed, but you can't launch the client or LU. I'd like to remove everything in a previous step and then install it fresh second.

jkuo
Contributor

Unfortunately some versions of SEP don't allow an in place upgrade, so in the past what I've done is created a package that copies the Uninstaller into a known location, and then have a script that runs it:

#!/bin/sh

open -a /Applications/Symantec Solutions/Symantec Uninstaller.app

Then I put this into Self Service, have the end user run it and restart, and then you can run the silent install (but of course also requires a restart).

Not the most elegant, I know.

MACHOUSTON
New Contributor III

for removing SEP try this https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=21364

to install just one SYlink :here is how you drop a SyLink.xml use this app: /Library/Application Support/Symantec/SMC/tools/SyLinkDrop.app
it will pop up to get the file and do it for you. otherwise its much simpler to do this:

To install SEP silently Take the DMG from Symantec and drop it (Copy the content ) into a new folder on your desktop. drop your SyLink.xml file in your additional resource folder.
launch the Symantec Endpoint Protection Installer under the Tools menu there is a Create remote deployment package that you can deploy with Casper. this will do a silent install but YOU MUST reboot.

2fe121b6e8964ef689ee2a40047942be

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

OK, I thought that had to be done from the SEP management console. I was able to package it, and it looks like it's showing up as managed like it should be. Thanks!

TreviñoL
Contributor

We were successful in deploying the upgrade using the SEP Manager instead of JAMF today. The security team is pushing the upgrade to a few more Mac workstations today after the successful deploying from the SEP Server to the Mac clients.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I've always packaged up the files in the "Additional Resources" folder, put them in a temp location, and installed the SEP.mpkg package with a postflight script. As long as all the other files are in the same folder as it, the installation goes smoothly. You definitely need to reboot afterwards unless you are OK with AV not working until the system naturally reboots.