Intune to Jamf Cloud

mlambert
New Contributor III

In the process of moving our entire environment of about 2000 Macs from Intune to Jamf Cloud. I'm essentially at the point where I can deploy new systems just fine with Jamf.

The daunting part I'm looking at is going to be getting all of our existing systems moved over to be enrolled in Jamf and then registered back into Intune for compliance.

So far I'm looking at combing a script to pull the Intune MDM profile using the profiles command and then running the quickadd package to enroll with Jamf.

Anyone that has gone through this recently that can share some of their experiences they've learned, what worked, what didn't etc?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

How old are your Macs? Assuming they have 10.13.2 or greater, using a QuickAdd.pkg to enroll is not a recommended approach due to User-Approved MDM, since the User would still have to go in to System Preferences -> Profiles and approve the MDM profile.

I assume you are trying to make this as frictionless for the end user as possible, but they are going to have to be involved in the process somehow.

A couple of ideas off the top of my heads:

1) Once you remove Intune as the MDM, open an enrollment web page for the user and have them enroll via User-Initiated enrollment in to Jamf.

2) If you devices are in ABM, you could create a Pre-Stage Enrollment in Jamf and move the computers to this Pre-Stage. In your scripts run the command sudo profiles renew -type enrollment and have the user enroll. (Note: I have not personally used this method, only seen it mentioned online.)

I haven't done a specific migration, I usually just wipe and re-enroll. But, hopefully this will give you some ideas. Of course, test heavily.

mlambert
New Contributor III

Most of them are fairly new and running Mojave or higher. I'm thinking the profile command will likely be better than the quickadd. Trick is just getting people to click the banner.

dtommey
New Contributor III

UMAD may help wrangle users to enroll with Jamf

mlambert
New Contributor III

Cool, thanks for the link, I'll have to look at this. I'm already using one of Erik's other project so should be pretty easy to setup.